Chapter Thirty-Six: Puppy?

Percy

The day after Piper, Jason, and Thalia came to visit, we went to pick up Rosie and Annie. They were still going to Camp Half-Blood with their friend, Ben. Last summer, Annie had mentioned a girl she'd met named Hadley. When I'd talked to her over the phone, she told me that she'd introduced Rosie and Hadley and they'd gotten along great. I was happy for Annie–she often had a hard time making friends because of her outwardness and case of verbal diarrhea.

The car ride to Long Island was uneventful. Annabeth had wanted to drive, and as a result I'd gotten a chance to look at dog breeders on facebook.

"Annabeth?" I asked.

She glanced over at me, grinning slightly. "Percy?"

"I want a puppy."

"No,"

"Why not? They are adorable, and we could get a tiny little puppy and watch it grow up!"

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You do remember how I can't even get plants to grow, right? And how all six of my fish died, and my turtle died after I forgot to feed it for three weeks?"

I thought back, remembering Boi the Turtle. The last I heard, Helen had freaked out over it getting out of the tank.

"But now you have me, and I can actually take care of animals." I defended my case.

"I had you then, too. Besides, we are moving soon, there's going to be a shit ton going on, and right now we don't have enough room for a dog."

"That's a good point," I nodded. "So next year?"

•••

"Percy, Annabeth! It's so good to see you again. How have you two been?" Chiron asked, smiling as we walked into the building.

"Good, good." Annabeth shook his hand, and I followed suit. "Sorry we are a bit early, but we are trying to get home before midnight this time."

"Understandable. I'll have Juliana fetch the girls." A girl with purple dreadlocks and dark chocolate skin ran off with a clipboard in hand. A few minutes later, she returned with four kids in tow. Annie, Rosie, Ben, and a tall girl who I assumed to be Hadley.

"Hi!" Our kids ran to us and we pulled them into a tight hug.

"So much has happened. Annie is–"

"Rosie no!" Annie ran at Rosalie and clamped her hand over her mouth.

She gurgled out a few words, giggling. The tall girl-Hadley, raised her eyebrow, but grinned.

"Dad, Annabeth, this is Hadley," Annie regained her calm. "She was in our quest group this year."

Hadley nodded, smiling. "Nice to meet you. From what I've heard, you two sound pretty awesome."

Annabeth chuckled warmly. "It's good to meet you two. Do you live in New York?"

"Yeah. Ben is my twin brother, and we live a few blocks away from where Rosalie said that you'll be moving."

"Really?!" Annie's eyes lit up. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted it to be a surprise. Just show up at school one day and see your friends from summer camp, you know?" Hadley blushed, looking down at her feet.

I raised my eyebrow, grinning. "They'd be cute together, when they are a bit older," I whispered to Annabeth.

"Give it a few years, Percy."