Chapter Twenty-Seven: Maybe Someday

Percy

I sat in my office, as hell. I had nothing to do for the next hour until a meeting. Currently, I was playing solitaire, since there was nothing better to do.

A knock at my door made me look up.

"Come in!" I said, clicking out of the solitaire tab.

"Mr Jackson?" said Georgie, the person who worked in the office. "Someone is here to see you. She said she didn't have a meeting scheduled, but she needed to talk to you about...important matters?"

"What's she look like?" I asked suspiciously.

"Curly red hair in a ponytail...green eyes," they said.

I rolled my eyes. "Send her in. I'm open for the next hour."

"Come in," Georgie turned and let her through.

Rachel walked in, took a seat, and looked me dead in the eye.

"Why didn't you tell me that you moved?!" she yelled.

My eyes widened. "I thought you knew?"
"I just found out today when I went to your house and some random people answered the door. You seriously couldn't take ten minutes to tell me that you took our daughter and moved?"

"Rachel, I'm sorry, but...you haven't tried to be in her life lately. I haven't even heard from you in months. By the way, what was up with that call?" I asked.

"What call?"  she looked confused, then she rolled her eyes. "I was drunk. Anyways, I may not be the most...attentive mom, but I still love Annie and I want to know if she's safe and where she lives."

"I have no problem telling you where we live, it's just...I don't trust you. The last time Annie stayed with you, a few summers ago in London, and you left her alone for days at a time? I worry about that happening again every time she sees you."

"Percy, I swear I can do so much better. I've got an apartment in Queens, I have a job, I've been sober ever since I moved back to New York." Rachel didn't look angry anymore. She looked desperate to see her daughter.

I sighed. "The judge said that Annie has the right to see you when she want's, if she wants. I'll talk to her tonight and get back to you tomorrow. Then we can arrange something."

Rachel smiled-the first time I'd seen her actually smile in years. "Thank you. I get that you kind of hate me but...I really do hope that someday you and Annie will let me back into your lives...as a friend and mom."

"Maybe someday," I looked down.

"Talk to Annie for me. I'd love to see her." Rachel smiled softly before getting up and walking out of my office. "Do you want the door closed?"

"No, it's okay."

•••

That night, while I was tucking Annie in for bed, I decided I should probably keep my word and ask her about her mother.

"So...Annie...I have a few things to talk to you about." I sat at the edge of her bed.

"Am I in trouble? I swear I didn't mean to threaten Nathan, it just happened!" Annie hid under the covers.

"Oh, no. Not at all. Threaten the kid all you want. Anyways, today...R-your mom came to see me at work today. She wanted to see you sometime soon. We talked about it, and I told her that it's your decision." Annie raised her eyebrow.

"So you are asking me if I want to go see her?"

"Yes. We could start out with a few hours, then more of you want." I explained.

"I kind of want to see her. I mean, I haven't seen her in a while. If it goes well maybe she could come over for dinner?"

"If that's what you want, sweetie." I smiled.

···

The next morning, Rachel and I set up a time, and I took Annie to Rachel's apartment.

"Annie, are you sure you don't want me to stay with you guys?" I asked.

"I'll be fine, Dad." Annie hugged me. "Now go have fun and get your nails done,"

I laughed. "What color?"

"Blue, duh," she moved towards the apartment door. "I love you, Daddy."

···

When you can feel the depressed feeling coming back...that's one of the worst feelings. The hard thing for me is that I have no idea what triggers depression episodes or panic attacks for me. Today I was sitting at my desk writing, and I felt the panic sitting over my head, and I hated it.

On a totally different note, I broke my glasses three times in the last two weeks.