Chapter Forty-Five: I Believe in You

Annabeth

I was more than a little shocked when Percy told me that Rachel was getting married. I hadn't expected her to want to get married again, but nonetheless, I was happy for her. I didn't have a lot of time to dwell on it, however, since I had to meet my mom for the contract signing.

As I pulled into the lot of my office building, there were many more cars parked than normal, which I thought was strange. I headed inside, and the security officers smiled at me and shook my hand, congratulating me. I hesitantly thanked them, having no idea how the news got out. Reporters were swarming around the meeting room. I shoved my way through, just trying to get to the door. Many 'excuse me's and 'pardon me's were said.

I finally got into the meeting room. I shut the door behind me, breathless. "Mom?" I called out.

"Here, honey!" my mother rushed out, enveloping me in a tight hug. "I've missed you, Annabeth."

"Me too." I sunk into the embrace. I'd truly missed her, even if we'd been fighting endlessly only a few months prior. "Are you staying for the week?"

"I'm staying until after your wedding, then I do have to go back home."

My eyes lit up. "You can stay three months?"

She nodded, then gestured for me to sit. I sat in one of the spinny chairs, resisting the urge to spin until I felt sick. The walls were made of glass, and I knew reporters were trying to get good shots.

"So," my mother began, "Shall we get started?"

I nodded nervously. I'd known this day was coming for years, but I never felt truly prepared. I'd been assured time and time again that I would do fine, and my time would come, but it never felt real.

"I just have to sign the papers then address the reporters, right?" I asked.

Mom nodded, rolling her eyes. "If they don't get their story, they will spread shit about the Olympian enterprise to make up for it."

She pulled the papers out of her briefcase and two pens. "All you have to do is sign the papers." she handed me a pen and I accepted. She signed her signature surly, but I hesitated.

"Are you sure I can do this? I mean, I'm only thirty. Am I really old enough to be the owner of a multi-million dollar company?"

"Annabeth," Mom took my shaking hands in hers and looked me in the eye. "I wouldn't have chosen to retire if I didn't believe you. I know you can handle this job. There may be some rocky spots in the beginning, but I know you can get past them. I believe in you. Percy sure as hell does, and so do all your friends. You can do it."

I nodded, beginning to tear up. I was so choked up I couldn't speak, so I picked the pen back up and signed my name before I could go back. I put the paper in my briefcase and stood up, grinning from ear to ear. We went outside the room, bracing ourselves for the swarm of reporters.

"Ms. Athena Chase, how do you feel about signing over the company?"

"Annabeth, what are your plans for the firm?"

My head spun from all the questions, but my mom helped me through the crowd to a podium. I closed my eyes, taking a breath. When I opened them, the mass of people was still there. Many of the employees had joined the crowd as well.

"As many of you know, I, Athena Chase, have just signed the company over to my daughter, Annabeth Chase. I am retiring from my position to take a much-needed break." the crowd chuckled dryly. Many of our employees were well over my mother's age, I just hoped they didn't feel bitter about it. "I wish each and every one of you success under the instruction of my daughter. Thank you." she stepped down, allowing me to step up to the podium.

I cleared my throat, nervousness shining through. "Thank you, mother. I want to thank all the employees in this establishment for helping me to this position...it means the world to me. Without all of you, I'd never be here today. I promise to bring not only the people in this branch but all of our other establishments, success over the years. I plan on making a few changes, such as moving our main branch back to New York. We will still operate in Greece, as it is our homeland, but I feel it would be much more convenient to keep our base here. Along with that, I aim to open at least three more branches over the next few years. I will speak more about that in a few months once we can get the project off the ground. I know that the Olympian Enterprise hasn't had a change in management in any branch for quite some time, but I promise to try my best to bring this company its best. Thank you." I stepped now, grinning sheepishly as everyone erupted into applause.

"You did amazing, honey." Mom squeezed my shoulder.

···

That night, I practically skipped into the house. I'd told Percy I would be home late since I had endless meetings, but I really hadn't expected a party waiting at home.

I walked into the house only to find it pitch black. All the blinds were drawn, curtains shut, no lights on. I tripped over a shoe in the entryway. I yelped, grasping my toe. I kicked off my shoes and hung up my coat before trying to turn on the lights. They didn't turn on. I figured that there must be a power outage since it was extremely windy out.

"Hello?" I called out. I pulled up the flashlight on my phone, shining it around. "Percy? Rosie? Annie? I know you guys are in here, come on out!"

"Surprise!" a mass of people jumped up and screamed in my face.

I nearly jumped out of my clothes in shock, letting out an ear-piercing scream. My face imitated that of a disturbed monkey. The lights clicked on, and I saw Leo collapse on the couch in a fit of giggles. Percy was clutching Piper's shoulder, and they looked like they were about to die of laughter.

I huffed, standing over Leo. "Get your nasty feet off my couch."

"Yes ma'am." He said up with a straight face, then he dissolved again.

I looked around, seeing all my friends. It had been a while since I'd seen them all together, it made me so happy. "What are you guys all doing here?"

Piper walked up to me and took my shoulders. "We are here to celebrate your promotion, duh. It's not every day you become a CEO."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "I suppose not." I looked around again, realizing there were no children in the room. "Where are all the kids?"

Percy wrapped his arm around my waist. "Don't worry, Wise Girl. Annie and Rosie are playing with Jonas, and the twins are asleep."

"Good, good." I nodded slowly. "So...think we could open a bottle of vodka?"

···

I'm doing my best to wrap it up but it's so hard omg

But anyway only expect a few more chapters because there are going to be a few time skips(pretty sure the wedding will be the last chapter). I'm aiming for fifty chapters, so it will be a nice even end to the series. I really cannot wait for my next project I already know what I'm going to do but...I'll tell y'all some other time :)

Lots of love,

~Kenzie