dream thirteen

She really wants to go to a masquerade ball.

            Mask On, F*ck it, Mask Off

A black and white masquerade ball was happening. No one knew who was hosting it or why it was happening, but everyone on the college campus was talking about it.

She was invited, as well as her best friend. They instantly agreed to go, excited to see what would happen. The weekend before, they went shopping for outfits and masks.

She bought a white off-the-shoulder, satin, a-line dress, and she made sure it was long enough to hide her feet so she could wear sneakers. Her best friend bought a black, silk suit. They both went to Dollar Tree and bought masquerade masks.

The next week was filled with more excitement than ever as everyone talked about the ball. The day finally came and she was so hyped to get ready. She took a shower, then got dressed. She put on her dress, white ankle socks and black Old Skool Vans. She left her braids down and put on her jewelry. Her best friend came over a little while later, all dressed up as well. They had their suit on, and she had convinced them to wear matching shoes, so they were also wearing black Old Skool Vans. "We look fire," they say as they walk into her dorm with their mask and invitation in hand. "As usual," she says as she does some last minute things. She grabs her phone, mask, keys and invitation, then they head out.

They take her car and grab a quick meal at McDonald's. They order from the drive-through, and eat in the parking lot. They finish eating and head to the ball. Once they reach the venue and she parks the car, they turn to each other. "You ready?" She asks. "Hell yeah," her best friend says. They both put on their masks, then step out of the car. They wait in line with the other partygoers. After a little while, they hand their invitations to the bouncer then step inside.

Once they're in, she makes eye contact with a boy. He winks at her then disappears. She shakes her head lightly before beginning her night. She spends a lot of time talking and dancing with strangers, just all around having a great time. All of the sudden, the DJ tells everyone to partner up and slow music starts to play.

Someone swiftly grabs her in their arms. She smiles when she realizes it's the boy she saw earlier. "Well, hello there," he says. "Hi," she responds. "Who are you?" "That kind of defeats the purpose of this, don't you think?" She asks with a chuckle. "I guess you're right." They dance for the entirety of the song, holding intense eye contact. When the song is nearly over, he whispers in her ear, "I'll see you again, princess. Don't forget about me."

When the song ends, the DJ requests that everyone switches partners. They let go of each other and turn to the person on their left. He winks at her before turning to his new partner. She gets a little flustered before turning to her new partner as well. She dances with all types of people until her feet start to give up on her. She grabbed some water and sat at a random table. She talked to a couple of people before getting up to get another water bottle. Before getting to the table, someone grabs her hand and drags her out a back door to a secret garden behind the venue.

Before she screams and smacks the mess out of the person, they say, "Calm down, it's just me." She relaxes when she realizes who it is before saying, "Now why in the fudge would you do all of that?" "I was trying to be dramatic and romantic, duh." "Bro, I thought I was going to be the next hashtag." "Oh my gosh. Anyway, hi again." "Hi, idiot." "I told you I would see you again, princess." "I didn't think that would be you dragging me out of the venue to a secret garden. And stop calling me that." "It's what you are though. And  look, does it really matter how it happened?" "You're strange." "Okay, but you like me." She looks away and says, obviously lying, "What? What are you talking about?" "You're a great liar." "Thank you, love." "Well, we're out here all alone, so why don't you take off your mask." "Damn. You want to see me that bad?" "Yes. Yes, I do." "Alright, on the count of three, we take them off." "Bet." "One, two, three," they count off together.

They both take off their mask and stare at each other in awe. "Wow," they say in sync. "You are absolutely beautiful," he says. "You are too, damn,"  she replies. They introduce themselves to each other and exchange contact information. They just sit and talk for a while, getting to know each other.

She checks her phone and jumps up quickly. "I need to back in there, my friend is spamming the mess out of my phone asking me where I am," she says. "Damn, well it's been a pleasure talking to you," he says as he gets up. "It's been a pleasure talking to you too. I'll see you later?" "Definitely," he says before he starts to walk away.

"Wait!" She says, causing him to turn around. "What?" She walks up to him and kisses him. They hold each other and kiss for a little while before she pulls away. "You're welcome," she says as she walks toward the door. He shakes his head before walking toward her. "You ready?" He asks. "Hell yeah," she responds. They both put their masks back on and head back inside. He winks at her and she smiles before they went their separate ways, acting like they've never met each other.

She meets up with her friend and they spend the rest of the night together. The night was slowly coming to an end, and they decided to head out. Just as she's about to walk out the door, she makes eye contact with him one last time. She winks at him, then walks out feeling like the baddest chick alive. He smiles as she walks out, excited to get to know her even more.
—————————————————————hey guys! how are we all? i hope you're all swell :) uh this is okay but like kinda cute idk, i'm struggling out here and i don't like my writing style lmao. but i hope you enjoyed this!!

- a stressed homie, joyce <3