dream twenty-three

The Secret Garden

She was tired. The week had drained her and the people around her weren't making things better. She loved her family and friends, but she wished they thought a little bit more. She needed an escape and she knew just the place.

She got ready, grabbed her phone, earbuds and longboard, and told her mom she was going for a ride. She rode for a while, enjoying the breeze and the music from her phone.

She eventually reached her destination: a garden. She found it one day as she was cruising around her city, and she went there anytime she needed a break. She loved it. The flowers and vines were beautiful and well taken care of. No one else was ever around, so she could do whatever without judgement.

Today, she just sat and thought. Her mind spiraled as all sorts of music played. Out of nowhere, a boy came through some vines. They both jumped at the sight of each other. "Shoot. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just didn't think anyone else would be here," he said. "Me neither," she chuckled.

"Do you mind if I sit next to you?" He asked, pointing at the bench. "Not at all," she said smiling. He walked over to her and sat next to her. They turned to look at each other and he asked, "So, what are you doing here?" "I needed a break. Life has been draining recently and I come here to ease my mind. What about you?" "I come here to do the same. A lot has been happening lately and I needed to go somewhere and make sense of things."

"Damn. Well, what do you usually do here?" "I walk around or just sit somewhere and pick at the grass. Sometimes, I play music and cry. It really depends on the day. You?" "Same. Sometimes, I bring things with me, so I'll read, write or play my guitar. Other times, I'll just listen to music and dance, or cry too." "We live sad lives, huh?" "We do."

"Well, what were your plans today?" "I was just going to sit, listen to music and let my thoughts kill each other, or me really." "Why don't we do that together?" "Sure," she said before unplugging her earbuds, letting her music fill the air.

They sat and stared at the ground for a while, thinking about their own lives. Suddenly, he stood in front of her and held his hand out. She looked at him confused and he said, "Let's dance. We live sad lives, so let's make a happy moment." She smiled at him before taking his hand and standing up.

He placed his arms around her waist, she placed her hands around his shoulders, and they slow-danced to "Just the Two of Us" by Grover Washington Jr. They danced to a couple more songs, getting closer and more comfortable with each other.

At some point, she looked up at him and softly said, "Thank you." "No problem. We deserve this." "We do," she said with a grin, which he returned.

They danced for a little while longer before she checked her watch. She stepped back a bit when she realized the time, causing him to look at her in confusion. "I'm sorry, I have to get home for dinner." He smiled before saying, "It's alright. It was nice meeting you." They let go of each other before she said, "It was nice meeting you too." She grabbed her things as she got ready to leave.

When they started walking away from each other, she said, "Wait!" He turned around to look at her and she walked up to him. She placed her hand on one of his cheeks and kissed the other, which made him smile. "I hope to see you soon," she said as she backed away from him. "I do too."
—————————————————————heyooo! this was fun to write haha. i originally hated it so you know what i did? i rewrote during school lmaooo. anyway, the secret garden is one of my sister's favorite books and she forced me to watch the movie lmao, but this is lowkey inspired by it. this is completely off topic, but i finally got to watching victorious on netflix and i'm kinda in love with beck (and robbie, don't flame me please). thank you. but i hope you enjoyed this and have a fantastic day!

- a tired, but actually happy mf, joyce <3