Part 10 - Death

Over the next few weeks, we receive multiple more attacks from demons (of course, each one ending with us casting them back to hell). However, the time frame in between attacks gets shorter with each one. That is, up until today. We were due to be attacked within the next 2 days after the last attack, but Satan's demon is yet to make an appearance. Has he finally given up?  Well, you know the saying about the devil working hard; I'm sure he's just coming up with a new angle.

In other news, Cordelia somehow brought Myrtle back to life. She claims she did it because she needed Myrtle's guidance on how to stop the apocalypse, but I think she just missed her mentor. I can't blame her; I missed Myrtle terribly as well. Myrtle (as just about everyone expected) wasn't a fan of Michael at first, but she's been warming up to him - most likely because of the fact that he allows her to buy whatever she pleases for his wardrobe, but we take the win regardless.

Additionally, I haven't been getting much sleep. I'm plagued by nightmares of the world burning and everyone dying every night, which is unsurprisingly hard to sleep through. Michael seems to have similar dreams, for we always meet each other in the kitchen at 3 AM when we are getting herbal tea to calm our nerves.

However, my dreams tonight are not my usual nightmares. Now I see a boy and a girl who look to be around college-age meeting each other in front of a coffee shop. They both sit at a picnic table and talk, but I can't hear what exactly they're talking about. They're both smiling, obviously catching feelings for the other.

I watch happily from a distance; it's nice to finally receive a happy dream after all the nightmares. "I had a feeling you and Michael would be able to overpower my demons," a cold voice states from behind me.

I casually turn to face Satan, not at all off-put. "Well, what a pleasant surprise," I reply sarcastically. "What are you doing in my dreams tonight?"

"I am here to gloat," he states condescendingly. "Seeing that I cannot kill you in your dreams, I may as well use them as an opportunity to get inside your head."

"You were the one sending me and Michael the dreams of the demon?" I ask.

He laughs dryly. "Of course I was. I figured that I may as well give you a reason to be anxious in the two weeks it took for her to gain enough strength to face you."

"And who are these people?" I question, motioning to the boy and girl at the picnic table.

He shrugs nonchalantly. "That, I cannot tell you. However, I will tell you that this scene took place four years ago."

"Why are you showing me now?"

"I needed those people to complete their duty for me before I revealed them to you."

"So if they die, that doesn't do anything to stop your plan?" I clarify.

"You are correct."

I shake my head. "Why even show them to me then? You know that I'll figure out whatever their role in your plan is."

He smiles his signature evil smile, making me resist the urge to shudder. "By the time you figure it out, it'll be too late."

"Trying to mess with my head, are we?" I ask sarcastically.

"Yes, that and distract you."

"Distract me?" Wait a damn minute - I've been in this dream for a while. "Oh shit."

He cackles one of his stereotypical villain laughs, and I abruptly force myself to wake up, flying forward in bed. My head whips to the side, immediately taking in my surroundings. That's strange; it's daylight. I never sleep through the whole night. Actually, I don't even remember going to sleep last night. When I glance down at myself, I see that I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday (and that I fell asleep on top of my covers). What the hell happened last night?