Part 46 - Karma's a Bitch

"How the hell are we supposed to know which one is actually him?" Coco asks.

"Easy," I reply as I raise my arm and snap the neck of the version of Satan closest to me. "We kill them all. Whichever one can't die is him."

Before somebody can complain, the Satans all run for us at once. I easily kill the ones to run at me, and I turn to the rest of the witches to see if anybody needs help.

Zoe seems to be outnumbered, so I help her kill off the Satans attacking her. "Thank you," she says breathlessly as she turns to me.

She looks past me and her eyes widen. "Look out!" she screams.

I turn on my heel as Satan brings his knife down on me. Right as the knife is about to stab me, I am pushed out of the way.

I roll over and look up just as Satan stabs Madison, the person who pushed me out of the way. She gasps and clutches her chest as she backs up, utter shock in her eyes. She falls to the ground, and that's enough to snap me out of my shock.

I transmutate to behind Satan and snap his neck, but it does nothing. He disappears with a smirk. "Fuck! That was the real Satan," I mutter as I run to help Madison.

"Madison, just hang in there," Zoe assures her as she holds a hand over Madison's chest. "Esmeray can heal you."

I nod as I kneel beside Madison. I furrow a brow as I realize her wound won't heal. "Oh shit," I mutter as I try again. Nothing happens.

"What is it?" Madison and Zoe ask.

"That fucking knife was enchanted," I state. "I can't heal her wound."

"No, there has to be a way," Zoe insists.

I try 3 more times, but nothing happens. I shake my head as I look down at Madison desperately. "Madison, you saved my life. Why the hell would you do that?"

She smiles weakly. "I said that I'd figure out a way to repay you for being such a bitch to you."

"Not by dying for me!" I argue.

Madison chuckles as she coughs up blood. "Zoe," she whispers as she attempts to lift her hand to stroke Zoe's face.

Zoe leans down. "Madison, please just hang on. For me."

Madison smiles as tears fill her eyes, and she pulls Zoe down to kiss her. While their lips are locked, Madison's life force leaves.

Her body goes limp and Zoe pulls away to look at her dead lover. "Madison, no!" Zoe screams, taking Madison's face in her hands. She begins sobbing uncontrollably while I stare in shock.

We both look up to see Satan laughing maniacally from a few feet away, watching Zoe's grief with a sadistic smile on his face.

Zoe releases Madison and allows Madison's body to fall to the ground. "You asshole!" she shouts as she runs forward and slaps him.  "You just killed my girlfriend!"

He raises an arm but she quickly punches him in the face.  "Shit!" he gasps as he holds a hand to his bloody nose.  While he's off-guard, Zoe kicks him in the gut.

"Damn," Michael mutters as he walks over to me.  "Remind me to never piss Zoe off."

I chuckle.  "You know, one time she massacred a whole group of zombies with a chainsaw."

He raises a brow.  "Do I even want to ask?"

"Probably not."

Our attention is brought back to Zoe and Satan when Zoe gasps and falls to her knees.  "Zoe!" I shout as her life force vanishes. She lands on the ground beside Madison's body.