Part 12 - Return to the Cortez (pt 2)

"Excuse me, what?" I ask.

"They're sacrificing her at Devil's Night," the Countess explains matter-of-factly.  "It's a tradition for one of the serial killers to bring a sacrifice every year."

Michael and I stand in unison upon hearing the Countess's words. "We'll be back," I tell her. "Maybe," I add on as an afterthought.

We quickly make our way towards the elevator and watch as it goes up to floor 7, assumedly with John and the girl in it. I grab Michael's hand. "We'll have to transmutate."

He nods, then we disappear from the lobby and reappear on the seventh floor. We look over to see John entering room 78, dragging the girl behind him.

Michael grabs my arm before I can run after them. "I think the two of us transmutating into the middle of their hotel room would give them quite a fright," he suggests with a mischievous look on his face.

I chuckle as I take his hand. "I like your way of thinking." With that, we transmutate into the hotel room together.

I look around to see that we're standing in the entryway to a dining room with multiple people sitting at the table. I immediately recognize the people as famed serial killers. So this is what the Countess meant by Devil's Night: a dinner hosted for dead serial killers.

"Holy shit," Richard Ramirez gasps, getting to his feet and pulling off his sunglasses. "Who the hell are you?"

"Somebody you don't want to mess with," I state dramatically, shooting out my hand to send a knife flying into his shoulder.

He gasps as he holds his hand over where the knife landed. "Fuck! That still hurts."

"Okay, okay, that's enough," James Patrick March scolds as he enters the room with John and the girl trailing behind him. "I'm sure that you're here for a reason other than ruining our dinner."

"The girl," I state, looking over to her. "She is of interest to us."

"And she is our sacrifice of the night," John snaps.

I narrow my eyes as I read his mind. "I'm sure that you would love it if I went to room 64 right now, dragged your wife onto the street and killed her off hotel property," I threaten.

His grip loosens on the girl. "Who the hell are you?" he asks, confused.

"Somebody that I would recommend that you do not piss off," James says as he takes the girl from John's arms. "Go ahead and take her. We will find somebody else to sacrifice."

"I would recommend skipping the sacrifice from now on," I reply as I set the girl down in a chair behind me.

"We can't just do that now," James says, holding his arms out disarmingly.

"Oh yes we can," I reply, turning to Michael. "I believe that Mr. Dahmer there is the main reason that this sacrifice is made every evening."

"He is now?" Michael questions amusedly.

"Why don't we show them what you can do to them if they decide to continue their sacrifices. We can use Dahmer as an example."

He holds his arm out, palm open. He closes it into a fist, and Dahmer bursts into flames. Everyone around jumps up and starts yelling, but within seconds Dahmer is no more than a pile of ash.

"He'll only come back," Ramirez rolls his eyes, clearly unimpressed.

"That was his soul that I destroyed," Michael says. "If you don't believe me, then let me try it out on you."

Ramirez looks at Michael skeptically as he sits back down. "I could go without sacrificing anybody else," he mutters.

"Any other objections?" Michael asks.