You Brought Me Home

Beep.

Ouch.

Beep.

Beep. Beep...

Something hurts.

Wiggle fingers.

Oh fuck. Everything hurts.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Gods that's annoying. Can someone shut that off?

You pried your eyes open and were met with a blinding white light. Wincing, you clamped your eyes shut again and turned your head to the side, immediately regretting that decision when every bone in your body practically shrieked with stiffness.

"Hello."

The voice sounded fuzzy. Might be a woman's voice. Still a beeping noise.

"Who... no, I mean, what? Where?"

You started to try and roll over, attempting to locate the voice. Maybe they could make it less fucking bright. And stop the beeping.

"You're alright," the voice said. "You are safe, unit leader. You're in the medbay and you are alright."

"What medbay?"

"You're back on base, unit leader."

That got your eyes to stay open.

You sat up and found a gentle-faced, gray-haired woman at your bedside, wearing a white medic's uniform. It was comforting at first. Then the panic set in.

"Where is he? Where's Kylo?"

"Sweetheart, you need to rest," the woman said. "You are no shape to be-

"No!"

You flopped back down onto the bed before you could get anywhere. For a small, older woman, she had no problem keeping you put. But to be fair, you weren't exactly in fighting shape.

"I need you to rest," the woman reiterated. "This is for your own good."

The soft hand she placed on your cheek just barely stopped you from spiraling, and allowed her to gently push you back onto your pillow.

"I know." You could play along. "Could I possibly get some pain medication?"

The medic smiled. "Of course," she replied. "Maybe something to calm you down too. I'll be right back."

Once the woman had vacated the room, you were sitting up again and getting ready to stand.

You looked down to see a clunky white cast on one of your ankles, along with various bandages on your legs. Probably more underneath the papery gown.

You gripped the bed's railing and pushed yourself to your feet. An almost unbearable pain shot up your leg the second you pressure on that angle, so sharp that your vision blackened around the edges. Despite that, you started walking—well, limping—out of the room and into the hallway, chest rising and falling with quick breaths.