chapter 21

Ava sat at a small coffee shop as she looked around the streets of Lagos. She saw Wanda add some sugar to her cup right as Steve's voice could be heard through their radios.

'All right, what do you see?' He asked the three girls who were all situated in the same place.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target." Wanda told him while taking a sip of her drink.

'There's an ATM in the south corner, which means..'

"Cameras." Wanda spoke out loud to finish Steve's thought.

'Both cross streets are one way.' Steve informed them from his view at the top of a building on the street.

"So, compromised escape routes." Wanda turned to face her coffee again.

'Means our guy doesn't care about being seen, he isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?' Ava looked to see what Steve was talking about.

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute." Wanda answered turning only slightly to see the car.

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." Ava now took her turn to lift the tea to her mouth.

"You guys know I can move things with my mind, right?" Wanda reminded them.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature." Nat's voice joined them, making sure Wanda wasn't going to mess up their chances.

'Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?' Ava now heard Sam join the conversation once he had landed on the roof.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?" Nat asked him before being interrupted by Steve.

'Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him.'

Two whole years it had been since the helicarrier event. Ava had honestly thought about quitting being an Agent after it but after taking time to improve herself, she felt much more prepared in these situations.

'If he sees us coming that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us.' Sam told Steve jokingly. Ava heard commotion coming from behind her and turned to see a garbage truck pushing its way through traffic with no regards to the pedestrians or other vehicles. Strange. Ava thought but decided to stay focused on the mission. It quickly became apparent that she wasn't the only one suspicious. 'Sam, see that garbage truck? Tag it.' Steve told Sam while Ava listened out for the information to come through on the truck.

'That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed.' Sam read out for the team to hear.

"It's a battering ram." Nat said everyone's suspicions out loud as Ava got ready to leave her table.

'Go now.' Steve ordered as Ava and Nat both pushed themselves away to leave. Wanda paused for a moment but quickly caught on when the other two girls walked past her.

Ava ran up ahead to see the area descending into chaos. Steve was already there attacking the men who had just arrived and looking up she saw Sam fly overhead. Ava crouched behind a broken piece of stone and began aiming her gun at the men Steve was currently fighting. One of the main skills she had taken time to improve was her aim, no longer having to sit back and watch the action was definitely a reward.

'Body armor, AR-15's. I make seven hostiles.' Steve told them as Ava scanned the area.

"I make 5." She told him as she took out two to her left. Wanda had now arrived on the scene and began blocking gunshots with her magic.