chapter 38

'Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back, and something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now.'

Ava thought about the message Tony had left them all as she sat outside the house, allowing his family to have some time to themselves.

"Hey there." She squinted into the sunlight to see Bucky coming to sit beside her.

"Hi." She answered and shuffled over so Bucky could fit next to the barrier as they looked out over the water.

"Are you alright?" He asked her as she sighed.

"I had a cat for about four years. His name was Levi. Let's just say he lived in the compound, and.. well we all know what happened to that." Ava smiled sadly at Bucky who just lay back against the wooden panelling, pulling Ava down so that her head rested on his chest.

"I swear you have something against sitting." Ava laughed as she looked up at the clouds.

"I'm sorry about the cat." Bucky began playing with her hair in his human hand, twirling it around his fingers.

"He knew all about you, you and probably nothing else." Ava smiled. She had enjoyed having Levi's company, even if it wasn't for very long. "Where do you go now?"

"Wherever you go, Ave. I don't have any plans to continue fighting." Bucky told her as she nodded against his hand.

"That would be nice. We deserve a break, and to actually spend some time with each other." Ava flipped onto her stomach to see Bucky's face beaming back at her.

"You know I love you, right?" Bucky sat up and leaned against the barrier.

"Of course, and I you." Ava reached out a hand to hold his cheek, stroking it with her thumb.

"Well.. you see.. I've been thinking.." He looped his arms around Ava's waist to pull her up and onto his lap.

"You can't say that and then be silent." Ava smiled curiously as Bucky just scoffed and shook his head.

"I was about to say something ridiculous." He told her as Ava frowned a little.

"You know you can say anything to me, I don't judge people."

"Yeah I know, Ave, it's just-"

"Were you going to ask me to be your girlfriend? Cause I always felt that we mutually decided to just remain unlabelled, which is also fine. It would be nice to escape those 'commitment issue' jokes, though." Ava giggled as she leaned into his forehead.

"I was going to go a step further." Bucky whispered as Ava backed away in shock.

"Oh, what?" Ava asked, not letting go of his face.

"See.. this is why I didn't go through with it." Bucky's face flushed red as he tried to look down, but Ava held it up to keep looking at her.

"Just because I'm shocked doesn't mean I'd say no." Ava cocked her head a little as Bucky cleared his throat.

"Then let's just pretend that I never stopped talking, alright?" Ava bowed her head as she moved her hands from his face to be around his neck. "So.. I've been thinking, and after every shit situation we've managed to get through.. every near death experience.. I realised that you can never take anything for granted. Honestly, when we were hiding back there, I thought that might be the last time I ever saw you. So to be sitting here with you now, I don't think I've ever felt so grateful in my entire life. What I'm trying to say is.. come and live out life, Ave. Will you marry me?"