chapter 33

Ava was alerted out of her numb state when the floor of her room started shaking. Small glimmers of light dazzled onto her wall revealing the smiles of those that were no longer here.

"Ava, hey. Come on, there's something outside." She could hear Nat calling from the other side of her door, but she didn't move.

"Just coming." Her voice was raspy as she heard the footsteps begin to walk away. It turned out it hadn't just been their friends on Wakanda that had been taken away from the world, nearly every Avenger had disappeared with the snap. Groaning, Ava moved her legs around to sit on the side of the bed before standing up. She began to take steps towards the door but was stopped by an invisible force. She hadn't left her room since they returned to the compound as it had become an almost safe haven from what had happened.

Nat hadn't lied. As Ava joined the others, a ship was landing on the ground outside. Steve wrapped an arm around her shoulders when he noticed her, trying to bring comfort to them both. A woman could now be seen holding onto the ship as the door began to roll open. Two figures appeared and began walking down the ramp making Ava let out a gasp while Steve ran forward.

Tony stepped out, hobbling as he held onto Steve for support. Pepper also ran forward before embracing Tony in a tight hug as the two let out small cries.

***

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey spoke out as pictures of those who had disappeared because of the snap floated around.

"World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did.. he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures." Nat added as Ava just stared ahead, emotionless.

"Where is he now? Where?" Tony asked those who had stayed on Earth.

"We don't know. He just opened a portal and walked through." Steve muttered out, almost sarcastically.

"What's wrong with him?" Tony pointed to Thor sitting in another room as he looked down at his hands.

"Oh, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but you know there's a lot of that's going around, ain't there?" Rocket explained as Tony jumped a little at the voice.

"Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-A-Bear." He told the Raccoon.

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep Space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him." Steve told Tony who looked almost offended by the words.

"Who told you that? I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street Magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight. He's unbeatable."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?" Steve pushed as Tony just scoffed.

"Pfft! I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus." Steve said calmly making Tony snap.

"And I needed you. As in past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late, buddy. Sorry. You know what I need?" Tony now stood as he pushed things off of the table with a clatter making Ava wince at the noise. "I need to shave. And I believe I remember telling all youse.." Tony ripped his IV out of his arm as he began walking forward only to be stopped by Rhodey. "Alive and otherwise what we needed was a suit of armor around the world! Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not.. that's what we needed!"