chapter 41

"Okay, so we've got eight Super Soldiers on a bulk supply run. Why?" John asked the three who sat opposite him.

"They say their mission is to get things back to the way it was during The Blip. Maybe they're just trying to help." Sam explained.

"They had a funny way of showing it." Bucky muttered as John turned to look at him.

"That serum doesn't exactly have a great track record. No offence." John told Bucky making both his and Ava's eyes narrow at the new Captain.

"We need to figure out where they're going. How did you track them here? The Flag Smashers?" Ava spoke up as she leaned forward in her seat.

"Uh.. no. We didn't track them, we tracked you.. through Redwing." John's friend answered for the first time.

"You hacked my tech?" Sam asked as his calm demeanour turned to one of annoyance. This just caused the man to laugh as John raised a hand.

"Sorry. It's not exactly hacking. It's government property." John was faced with silence as he pointed to himself. "Kind of the government." He chuckled as Bucky just stared ahead. "Does he always just stare like that?"

This guy was really beginning to get on Ava's nerves, but as she was about to lash out about the fact Bucky was sitting right there, Sam placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You get used to it." He told John coldly, obviously not liking that the new guy was trying to be one of their group.

"Okay, look. You know things have gotten kinda of, uh.."

"Chaotic." His friend filled in with a nod.

"Yeah. The GRC, they're doing the best they can to get things up and running smoothly, post Blip." John told the three, but mostly Sam as Bucky and Ava were given no eye contact.

"Reactivating citizenship, social security, healthcare. Basically just managing resources for the refugees who were displaced by the return." The friend stepped in again making Ava sigh.

"The Global Repatriation Council does all that, I know. So why exactly are you two here?" She moved here eyes from one man to another. They almost seemed to smirk at her question which made her frown in response.

"Well they provide the resources and we keep things stable."

"Yeah, violent revolutionaries aren't usually good for anyone's cause." John added.

"Usually said by the people with the resources." Sam answered as he turned to Bucky and Ava. Ava smirked back but Bucky just turned his head away, not wanting to be a part of this.

"We got a lot of resources. If you guys.. if you joined up with us.. we could.." John started talking but Ava just held up a hand with a laugh.

"Sorry? Join up? For a soldier you use some very casual vocabulary. Look, I get this is all new and shiny to you, I really do. That doesn't mean you can come here and act like you know us, because you don't." Ava answered making Bucky squeeze her thigh gently, obviously pleased with her answer.

"I got mad respect for y'all.."

"She said no, were you listening?" Bucky scowled at the man across from him.

"You were kinda getting your asses kicked till we showed up." He answered back making Bucky stiffen up slightly.

"Who are you?" He asked the man, unimpressed by his attitude towards them.

"Lemar Hoskins."

"Well, Lemar. How about you tell your friend that it's very difficult to pull off an attack when those who are supposedly wanting to 'join up' with us knock my actual team off moving trucks, with a vibranium shield." Bucky was now sitting forward, not taking his eyes off Lemar for a second.