chapter 35

"Okay, here we go. Time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the uhhh.. the van thing."

Back at the Avengers compound, Bruce fiddled with buttons on a panel as Scott opened the back of his van up, revealing the Quantum Tunnel.

"Breakers are set, emergency generators are on standby." Steve informed Bruce as he walked to stand beside Ava.

"Good. 'Cause if we blow the grid, I don't wanna lose Tiny here in the 1950's." Bruce pretended to whisper making both Nat and Ava crack a smile.

"Excuse me?" Scott began to look panicked.

"He's kidding." Nat told him before looking up to speak to Bruce. "You can't say things like that!"

"Just.. It was a bad joke." Bruce muttered out as Ava attempted not to look at all stressed in front of Scott.

"You were kidding, right?" Ava whisper shouted in Bruce's direction as he stopped to speak to her.

"I have no idea. We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke, or none of it is." Bruce noticed Scott watching them, making him give a thumbs up to try and show that everything was going to be fine. "We're good! Get your helmet on, Scott. I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Makes sense?"

"Perfectly not confusing." Scott answered with the wave of a hand.

"Good luck, Scott. You got this." Steve encouraged Scott.

"You're right. I do, Captain America." Scott smiled proudly back before being sucked into the Quantum Tunnel.

"On the count of three. 3.. 2.. 1!" Bruce called out as Ava gulped down the nerves she was feeling.

"Uh, guys? This.. this doesn't feel right." A teenager had appeared back as everyone looked back up to Bruce.

"Hold on." Bruce tried to act calm but it was clear to see he was panicking.

"Is that Scott?" Nat asked with a confused frown.

"Yes, it's Scott!" The teenager yelled back before being sucked back up into the Quantum Tunnel.

Next came an old man.

Then a baby.

And finally, the real Scott Lang back in the compound, allowing everyone to take a deep breath.

"Somebody peed my pants." Scott looked to be in shock at what had just occurred. "But I don't know if it was baby me or 'old' me.. Or just 'me' me."

"Time travel!" Bruce raised his hands to the absolute silence of the room. Steve sighed and began walking in the other direction with Ava following closely behind.

"What? I.. I see this as an absolute win!" Bruce shouted after them.

Sitting outside, Steve and Ava didn't say a word as they each thought the same thing. Their friends were never coming back.

"You still got that belief?" Ava tried to joke instead of crying while Steve just shook his head.

"I just.. I really thought we had a chance." Steve ran his hand through his hair as Ava nodded.

"For a second.. so did I." She whispered. The loud sound of an engine made both of them turn to see a car speeding into the compound and coming straight towards them. As it pulled up, it drove a little too far, meaning the driver had to reverse to meet the two.

"If it isn't my two favourite old people, why the long face? Let me guess, he turned into a baby." Tony guessed and for once, Ava couldn't even say no.