Bonfire

Chapter nine

Bonfire

🌿ꕥ

Stiles taped a photo of Lydia's grandmother and another piece of a code to his crime board and turned to Lydia, who was sitting behind his desk, and tried to figure out another key, hopefully, the last one.

"Try Maddy, it's gotta be Maddy," Stiles suggested the name of Lydia's grandmother's girlfriend who died in a boating accident.

Lydia looked away from the laptop screen. "Doesn't Maddy feel a little obvious as a copper key?" She raised her eyebrows and threw an annoyed expression towards the boy.

"I guarantee it's Maddy." He repeated, leaning against Lydia's shoulder as he watched her type on the keyboard.

Lydia looked at the boy again when the word 'error' appeared.

"Your name then, she left the code for you after all."

Lydia tried to type in her name, which had the same outcome.

The teenage girl tried everything Stiles suggested but so far nothing and it drove her insane.

"Flora would probably figure something out." The strawberry-haired girl spoke up, carefully looking up and watching Stiles reaction.

The scrawny boy groaned and sat down on his bed. "Yeah, she's not really in a talking mood, is she?" He sneered. "Or is she talking to you?" He narrowed his eyes at the girl.

Lydia pushed her chair away from the table and shrugged. "She texted me last night."

"W-what?" He stuttered, shocked that Flora texted Lydia but not him.

"Yeah." She whispered. "She only asked if I'm going to the bonfire though."

Stiles heard the tone of disappointment in Lydia's voice and started to bounce his leg. "We talked last night..."He admitted, ignoring Lydia's shocked expression. "...and we had a fight."

The girl threw her hands up. "Another one?"

Stiles looked at the girl, hurt. "What do you mean 'another one'?" He defended himself.

Lydia crossed her legs and shook her head. "You two are the most stubborn people I know, and you got together." She answered. "At first, I didn't understand why she liked you and I didn't even like you for her-"

"I know." Stiles interrupted her, which earned him a stern stare, making him shut up.

"-but!" She loudly argued. "Then I saw how you treated her." A small smile appeared on Lydia's face. "I always knew that Flora wasn't like me, she always wanted a good guy, refused to go on dates with the jocks..." She snickered. "...and when I saw how you treated her, how you held her close when Scott locked us in that classroom two years ago, how you were there for her every time."