So Close Yet So Far

Chapter twenty-nine

So Close Yet So Far

🍂ꕥ

"Locked." Stiles sighed after he tried to open doors to the gas station.

After Scott's and Stiles' heart-to-heart conversation, the jeep stopped due to the lack of gas so the boys had to walk to the nearest gas station.

Scott broke off the lock that was around the gas pump and turned to Stiles. "You got a twenty?" He called, realizing that he had no money on him.

Stiles frowned and started going through the pockets of his pants, putting the cash in between the locked door, showing that they paid for the gas, and then he ran towards Scott, pouring the gas into a barrel. "There was a pin..." Stiles spoke up, ready to talk about Donovan.

Scott's smile dropped when he saw how serious Stiles was.

"...there was one little metal pin attached to the scaffolding." He continued anxiously. "H-he was trying to pull me down." Stiles stuttered, shaking his head.

The Alpha understood what he was trying to say. "He was trying to kill you." He whispered.

Stiles was leaning against the gas pump. "Yes." He avoided Scott's stare. "Then I pulled the pin." He admitted. "And all these metal braces came down."

Scott moved his body weight to his right leg, listening to his best friend. He was finally letting him tell his truth, believing him.

"And one of them just went right through him." Stiles gulped.

Scott's lips parted. "Why didn't you think you could tell me?" He genuinely asked, not understanding why his best friend didn't come to him when it happened.

Stiles rolled his eyes. "It was just the way you were looking at me that night." He recalled the night Scott turned his back to him and Flora. "You're standing there with a wrench in your hand, you're looking at me like I just bashed you in the head with it."

Scott stepped closer to Stiles. "I know the difference." He spoke up. "I know what self-defense is."

After that, the two friends grabbed the full barrel and walked back to the jeep. Both of them knew that their conversation was all they needed to understand each other.

They drove until the sun went down and Scott fell asleep, letting Stiles drive the rest of the way. They've been on the road for almost twenty-four hours and it was getting tiring.

Thunder rumbled through the sky, making Stiles shake Scott awake. "Take a look at this." He pointed at the lighting that appeared in the distance. "What the hell do you think is happening to her out there?" Stiles asked when Scott stared at the sky with a terrified expression.