[116] Young James Potter

James asks Y/N to the dance not knowing Remus has a crush on her

▪︎ ☆ ▪︎

"Oi Y/N!" James yelled from across the Great Hall.

"What, James?!" Y/N yelled back, rolling her eyes at how immature they probably looked.

"Come to the dance with me?!"

"Sure!"

As Y/N's reply reached the ears of James Potter, the arrogant boy sat down with a huge smile plastered across his face.

What he didn't notice, however, was his best friend looking over with a severely disappointed expression on his.

"Oi, Prongs. Look over there," Sirius nudged the boy with his elbow, making him look up.

"Moony..." James murmured, now realizing just what he did wrong.

"You might want to go talk to him," Sirius advised gently.

Throwing his legs over the bench, James swiftly stood up exiting the Great Hall in just a few quick strides.

Looking left then right, James followed his instinct to go left.

A fast walk quickly turning into a jog didn't help James at all with his current situation.

"Where is he?" James muttered to himself.

Suddenly, James picked up on a quiet sob seemingly coming from the Boy's Restroom.

Cautiously walking over, James poked his head in only to see his best friend sat on the ground against the wall with his head in his lap.

Silently stepping inside the room, James walked over and sat down.

"Remus, I-"

"You don't have to apologize," The boy murmured.

"And why is that?" James asked, curiously.

"Because, because I get it. I understand. You deserve her. I don't. End of story."

"Woah woah woah! Moony! Don't say that! Listen to me-"

Remus looked up with tears in his eyes. His best friend was here sitting in front of him trying to explain something yet Remus himself didn't want to hear it.

Yet, why was he listening anyway?

"Remus, it's not at all what you think. I- me and Y/N, we..."

"What? You and Y/N what?!" Remus sighed loudly, growing restless with James' weak explanation by the minute.

Frustrated as well, James ran a hand through his hair. "We're just friends, Moony, okay? I don't like Y/N like that. Look, I didn't know that you had a crush on her. I didn't realize that until now, actually."

After a slight pause, Remus mumbled, "Have, James."

"What?" The boy looked at Remus with furrowed brows.

"I have a crush on Y/N. Not had."

"Remus, look. I'm sorry."

Glancing up at the raven haired boy, Remus just tiredly smiled. "It's alright, James. Better luck next time, right?"

"No, no. Not "better luck next time.'"

James quickly stood before marching to the door and leaving.

Scrambling to get up, Remus raced after him.

"What are you doing, Prongs?"

"You'll see. Just you wait, Moony. Y/N will be yours by the end of the night, I promise." James sent Remus a quick grin before strolling back inside the Great Hall.