Bridgerton [Colin Bridgerton]

summary: after returning from Scotland, Penelope sees Colin in a different way but only to find he's married

***

Penelope hadn't seen him in almost 4 years. After he turned 18, Colin left Grosvenor Square to attend school in Scotland and to further his travels. The moment he stepped into the tea room, her focus was on him. It was no secret that the Bridgerton Family was graced with good looks, but to Penelope, he was always handsome.

So the for next few days, Penelope had made excuses to her mother to find herself at the Bridgerton House just hoping for Colin to spare a glance towards him.

"And the books, oh Penelope, there were thousands." Eloise gushed about the trip she took with her family 6 months ago to Scotland. Penelope had seemed to block out Eloise when Colin had started walking towards the two girls.

"Eloise, I do believe Penelope has heard enough about you gushing over the books in Edinburgh." Colin sat in between the two girls.

"How about you Colin, you didn't speak much of the trip?" Penelope asked the older boy.

"I've been studying in Edinburgh so I have seen the wonderful things the city has to offer." Colin replied.

"I heard the Edinburgh Castle was built on an extinct volcano." Penelope said.

"It is." Colin smiled.

After the somewhat awkward encounter, Colin left his sister and her friend to have a talk with his two older brothers. She knew later today, there was a party at Lady Danbury's Garden and Penelope was trying to gain the courage to ask Colin to promenade with her in the field.

Penelope returned to her chambers to find her best dress, hoping to impress Colin. She always a kid in his eyes, someone who hanged out with his little sister. She wanted to show him that she isn't that little girl oh so many years ago, and now she a woman, a lady in society. It was one of the first gathering for the season, and she hoped this could guarantee the two would be courting and maybe even be engaged by the end of the season.

After arriving with her mother and older sisters, Penelope scanned the garden hoping to find Colin. In the corner, there he was, engaging in conversation with Eloise. Penelope passed her mother without getting caught and made her way towards the two. She could start having a conversation with Eloise and somehow rope Colin in. Once she made her way towards the two and gave her hellos, Lady Danbury interrupted her.

"Could I have your attention please." Lady Danbury stood on the top of the steps. "I would like to thank you all for arriving today to this event and I would like to introduce you to a dear friend of mine, the Duchess of Montgomery."

Penelope clapped her hands excitedly at the name, the Duchess of Montgomery, she was a famous young woman in Scotland, once a talented ballerina and now taking over the family name, and exceptionally beautiful.

She watched as the Duchess descended the staircase with Lady Danbury by her side, greeting the fellow party goers, before landing her gaze towards Penelope, Eloise and Colin with a bright smile on her face. She bide a goodbye to Lady Danbury before taking quicker steps towards the three and wrapping her arms around Colin instantly. "Oh, how I missed you!"

"It was only a week." Colin wrapping his arms around her waist.

"But yes, a week too long." She sighed removing her face from the crook of his neck. The two didn't say anymore words just taking in the sight of each other and started to lean in before they broke apart when Penelope cleared her throat.

"Oh, I'm sorry that was quite rude of me." She flushed looking at Penelope. "I'm Lady Y/n, Duchess of Montgomery, but you can call me Y/n. You must be Penelope, Eloise has told me much about you, and Colin also, he says like you're another little sister to him."

It felt like a thousand needles were stabbed in Penelope's heart, 'another little sister to him'. She had been trying to get his attention all afternoon, but only 2 minutes of Y/n being here, he gave her his undivided attention.

"Come, you must see mother again." Colin grabbed her hand and walked towards the other side of the garden where Violet stood.

"How do you know the duchess?" Penelope asked Eloise trying to gather information.

"She's my sister-in-law. She and Colin got married six months ago, that's why we went to Scotland for two weeks, for the wedding." Eloise explained.

"Oh, lovely." Penelope gave a fake smile while the insides were dying. All she longed her was Colin's attention, only to find he's in love with another. How she spent the past three years hoping that when Colin would come back he would want her, but instead in had been with another.

"Penelope!" Her mother came walking towards her. "You much come meet the Duke and Duchess." The Duke. That hit hard.

"Duchess, this is my youngest, Penelope Featherington." Portia gave a small bow.

"Oh yes, we just met a minute ago." Y/n smiled at the girl.

"Will the two of you stay in Grosvenor Square?" Penelope asked the couple.

"Oh I wish." Y/n sighed. "Colin has talked about his childhood here and it sounds wonderful and I've only been here a few hours and it truly is. But the two of us will return to Edinburgh to fulfill our duty's as Duke and Duchess after the season is over. Colin wanted to be here for his sister."

"Miss Bridgerton." Simon walked towards the group.

"Yes?" Daphne, Eloise and Y/n said together.

"The Duchess." Simon clarified. "I must say congratulations are in order."

"Thank you Simon." Y/n said to her old friend.

"And Colin, now that you are Duke, please come to me if you need anything or have questions." Simon directed his attention towards him.

"Yes of course." Colin nodded his head.

"Oh Simon, you must come to Montgomery House this Saturday, it's Colin and I's 6 month anniversary and we wanted to have a party." Y/n asked.

"Yes of course." He kissed the top of her hand before bidding her a goodbye and returning to Lady Danbury.

"And Lady Featherington, you and your daughters must come as well, Eloise has spoken highly of Penelope and I would like to get to know her more." Y/n looked at Portia.

"Yes of course, Duchess." Portia bowed.

Great, now I have to spent a whole evening with the two of them flaunting their love, Penelope thought to herself.

After the gathering, Penelope didn't say a word in the carriage towards Featherington House. As she shut the door and slid down starting to cry.

Unrequited love, it was never easy watching the one you love, love someone else.

———