Grey's Anatomy [Jackson Avery]

summary: an old flame arrives in town (I'm not 100% certain of the timeline of Jackson and April's relationship so some parts might not line up with the show). Takes place during season 9, slight AU

***

"Did you hear there's a new head of Cardio." Meredith told Cristina as the two made their way into the hospital. "She came from Cleveland Clinic, she's meeting Derek and the rest of the heads."

"Yang can get her Cardio Goddess again." Alex chuckled.

"Derek told me she went to Harvard, graduated early and did her residency and fellowship at Cleveland and got offered Head of Cardio here." Meredith explained. "I've seen her in some papers, won a Harper Avery award but declined it."

"Who declines a Harper Avery award!" Cristiana exclaimed. "She must be crazy to do that."

"Crazy good." Alex replied.

"Hi I'm looking for Cristina Yang." A women with dark blue scrubs walked into the attending's room.

"That's me." Cristina raised her hand.

"Great." She smiled. "I'm Dr. Y/n L/n, the new head of Cardio. I heard from Chief Webber that you're in a Cardio fellowship and I would like you on my service for this week. I have a heart transplant and I would like for you to scrub in?"

"That's amazing, thank you." Cristina smiled.

"And could you choose an intern to assist." Y/n asked.

"Of course." Christina answered.

"Thank you, I have quite the busy schedule this morning so I hope I get to know the rest of you sometime later." She said quickly before leaving the room.

"Did Yang smile?" Alex looked at Meredith.

"I think she did." Meredith confirmed.

"And this is April Kepner, trauma attending." Meredith introduced the two girls during lunch.

"It's nice to meet you, Y/n L/n, the new head of cardio." Y/n smiled at April.

"Is it true you declined a Harper Avery?" April asked her immediately. "Oh my god, that was unprofessional."

"No, it's fine." Y/n smiled slightly. "But yes I did, it was a conflict of interest.

"Did you guys here about the new head of cardio." Jackson came walking towards the table. "Apparently she's the same age as us. She must be legend."

"Most people call me a goddess but legend is also good." Y/n smiled turning around. "Jackson?"

"Y/n/n!" Jackson set down his tray hugging the girl immediately lifting her up from the ground.

"Y/n/n?" April muttered under the breath watching the two becoming slightly jealous. She hadn't been able to talk to Jackson in two weeks after the hookup and he now he was with another girl.

"You two know each other?" Alex looked between the two.

"We dated in college, what was it, 6 or 7." Y/n racked her brain for the correct time period.

"7, it was totally 7." Jackson confirmed for her.

"7 months." Alex nodded his head.

"Oh no, 7 years." Y/n clarified. The other three stood in shock, 7 years is a long time, and they're still friends after a breakup.

"Wow." Meredith muttered.

"Yeah, we met freshman year and we together all the way until med school. It was mutual breakup when I graduated early." Y/n explained. "Oh, come sit, we need to catch up."