1.

1968, New York

Her.

I watch her from the other side of the train. Her eyes are focused on the window, the outside world whizzing by in a blur. She's pretty, I find myself attracted to her. I won't dare to make a move, this is the 60's after all. A female x female relationship? Nobody would dream of it.

From over the top of my newspaper, I can't take my eyes off her. The raucous, metallic shriek of the train could almost give one tinnitus. I'm so focused on her I don't even notice my best friend Derek come back and take his seat again.

"Must you stare at every girl you come across?"

I snap out of it and look at him. "Well when you find one as gorgeous as she, I can't help it. Besides you're a man. You should understand" I replied cockily. He chuckles, a cigarette hanging loosely from his lips. He's the only person who knows my secret, the only person I revealed my true self to.

His response to me was simply "Well I'm black, and you're gay. I guess we're both outsiders."

He's a dear friend to me, a brother perhaps. When I glance back over, she's gone. "You cockblocked me Derek" I sighed and he grinned. "You weren't getting any anyway. Nice try" he teased. Giving a small yawn, I check my watch. "It's almost four pm, we must be arriving soon" I comment. "Thank god, any longer on this train and I might just go insane," he says.

---

6:20 pm.

We finally arrive at the station. Like a gentleman, Derek carries each suitcase in his hand. We didn't pack much to begin with. We exit out the back and stand along the busy New York street. I breathe in the fresh air, tainted with a mix of hotdog stands and strong petrol. "Well, it smells nicer in my dreams" I mumble.

"What way?" Derek asks curiously. "Hmm, left and walk" I answer. We trail along the street, weaving our way through busy people with no actual destination in mind. "There must be a hotel around here somewhere" I strain my eyes to search but there's not one in sight. 

"Excuse me" I call out, trying to flag down a stranger. They don't even give me the time of day, roughly brushing past my shoulder. "I don't think we've got much luck here" Derek remarks. As he finishes, we feel the wet sensation of rain on our skin. "Well done moron, you jinxed it," I said. We didn't have an umbrella so we had to use our cases for protection.

As we continue along the rain starts to pelt harder, our steps now fast-paced with intention. "If we don't find shelter we're going to fall sick!" Derek calls out over the loud noises of construction. In a daze, I spot a building down below. "In there!" I point and speed towards it. Derek follows me down as we enter the warmth of what appears to be a...Club.

A large neon sign read 'Cabaret Alcove' shines brightly above. There's dozens of tables and chairs, a large center stage with flashing lights and of course...A bar stocked with alcohol. "We're in a speakeasy" Derek whispers to me. I nod in agreement, it reminds me of the ones back home but fancier.

A woman in a long skirt and matching blazer approaches. She's clearly high class and very stern by the look on her face. "You're soaking up my floors. What do you want?" She says directly. "Just some shelter until the rain passes. Possibly some information on a nearby hotel too" I answer confidently as Derek keeps quiet.

"Hm. Well, there's a show starting in twenty minutes. Get a drink, sit down and well...Try to dry yourselves off for goodness sake" she says before striding away. "I wouldn't want to get on her bad side" Derek jokes. I playfully roll my eyes before we make our way over to the bar.

A younger woman approaches, she looks kind of the same age as us. "Hiya, what can I get for you?" She greets, her eyes immediately land on Derek and I can already tell she has the hots for him. "I'll have a dirty martini and my friend here will have a beer," I say. I know his order already.

She nods and fetches our drinks for us before Derek hands her some money. "What's your name?" He asks the girl. "Fairman" she replies. Derek and I glance at each other. "Your name is...Fairman?" I press. "Oh, that's my surname silly. My name is Mandi" she giggles. I can tell she's the bubbly type.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Y/n and this is Derek" I introduce. We both shake her hand, her cheeks slightly flush when it's Derek's turn. "I better get back to work before Audrey sees me chatting away like a blabbermouth. She's the woman you just spoke to but I hope you enjoy the show" Mandi smiles.

We nod and thank her before finding a table that suits us near the front, bang in the middle. "You know, it's real nice in here" I comment, staring around. "Don't get too comfortable. We're not here for play" he replies, taking a sip. "I know, I know..."

After waiting around for a while as the rest of the tables fill up with customers, the show finally begins. The music arises, the red velvet curtains draw open as a few dancers strut out on stage. It feels like I'm in heaven. I sit there content, watching with curious eyes. They're all so pretty.

Then, I see her.

The most beautiful redhead girl comes out on stage wearing a sparkly sequin corset and skirt. I thought the random girl on the train from earlier was the one for me until now. This girl right here is unlike any I've ever seen before. My jaw drops open at how sexily attractive she is.

 "Calm down Y/n you might get a boner" Derek mocks me. "Shut up, and don't even try it. She's mine" I say and I mean it.