17.

Dead.

I feel dead laying in this godforsaken bed all day and night long. I listen to the beeping of the machines and the wailing of other patients. The doctors told me I'd heal successfully with lots of rest and great care. I wiggle my foot in the cast and sigh, I won't be working for a while. I ponder about how Audrey might take the news. I look over at Cherry who's asleep in the chair beside me. She hasn't left my side since we arrived at the hospital and Derek visited in his free time. Though I've got a great support system, I can't help but feel empty even if I can't pinpoint it exactly.

The curtain around my cubicle draws back. "How're you feeling today miss?" The nurse asks as she checks me over. "Achy" I answer bluntly and she giggles as if I said something funny. "That's to be expected. I'm positive you'll be able to go home soon so that'll cheer you up" she says lightheartedly. I accept her niceness but deep down I have this boiling anger that wants to spew out. She leaves to tend to other patients as my eyes close for yet another hourly rest when I feel a hand caress mine before a kiss plants on my cheek. "Hi sweetie" Cherry greets and I smile. "Why don't you go home? Sleep in a real bed" I suggest but she shakes her head. "I want to stay here with you, make sure you're okay" she replies.

We talk for a bit until we're interrupted by a police officer. "You're the girl who was beaten by thugs?" He says. Homophobes, they're homophobic despicable people but I don't say that, he wouldn't care. I don't feel like getting beaten up twice. "Yes, did you find them?" I ask and the officer nods. "They're local delinquents so it wasn't hard to track them by their description ma'am" he informs. I nod my head in satisfaction. I'd personally like to kill them but I suppose jail time will do for now. Although I don't have to worry about them, I still have those racist punks on my mind. There's no justice for me until Derek gets his justice too.

It's not until around evening time Cherry and I are finally allowed to go home after 3 long days. I probably reek of medicine and musty hospital gowns. People on the street stare at me as I hobble alongside Cherry on my crutches. I have a feeling it's not every day you see a female limping for dear life. "The stars are out" Cherry points upwards and I tilt my head. It's like staring into a sea of black, the stars being a light of hope. "You know Y/n, my mama always used to tell me to look out for shooting stars so I could make a wish" she smiles.

"I don't need a wish"

She looks at me curiously.

"I already have you."

I watch her smile grow.

"I could marry you" she tells me as we continue to head home. "Very illegal" I sigh. "Know one has to know" Cherry winks and I feel like she's being serious. "Maybe we could leave New York first. Start a new life somewhere" I plan and she happily agrees. Little does she know, I'm not leaving until I get my revenge.