12.

I watch the boney-handed police officer write down in a notepad. "So you say you don't know who did this?" He asks, his eyebrow slightly raised. "It all happened so quick, don't you have any security cameras?" I pester. "Nope, I'm not sure there's anything I can do based on this little information," he tells me and I sigh heavily. 

"You're the police! Get out there and search for these racist cun-"

"Y/n calm down" I hear Cherry whisper to me, her hand on my back. The officer side-eyes, clearly uncomfortable with us there. "If anything changes I'll call ya," the officer says before getting up and walking away. I flip him off behind his back as Cherry pulls me out of the station. "I don't want you getting in trouble," she says firmly. 

I caress her cheek, rubbing softly with my thumb. "I'm not going anywhere, honey. I just...I have to find who did this to Derek" I say. I'm a lot angrier than I'm showing but I won't let Cherry see my dark side. She means too much to me. "I was thinking we could stop by the market and pick up some food for him?" She adds and I nod. "Perfect idea."

As we walk along the street, Cherry slips her arm through mine and stays close to me. To others, we might appear just as friends but what we have is way more special. I dip in and out of daydreaming when I feel someone tug on me. "Look, there's a pumpkin! I can make pumpkin soup" she says almost excitedly and I melt at how amazing she is. 

"Alrighty, just for you" I pull my purse out and pay. I can see the woman staring at Cherry which doesn't really surprise me, she's a natural-born beauty. "Have a good day ladies" we're told and we thank the woman for her hospitality. The pumpkin is a lot heavier than I thought so Cherry and I have to carry it together, our hands touching. We flash flirty glances every now and then.

By the time we reach home, it feels like my body is going to collapse. "Derek?" I call out. "In here" he replies and I sigh in relief. "I'll start now" Cherry smiles before giving me a kiss. She goes to pull away but I don't let her, slipping my tongue in. My hands on her waist, her hands knotted into my hair. "We shouldn't..." She whispers but I'm too engaged. "Cmon sweetheart, you know I want you" I whisper back.

After a heated moment, I finally let her go. "We'll talk about this later," she says and I huff. I can't stand when people play hard to get. As she prepares to cook, I head into the bedroom to find Derek propped up and smoking. "How'd you feel?" I ask, sitting by his feet. "Like death" he chuckles and coughs before gaining composure.

"The cops were useless cunts. I'd do better myself" I explain, clicking my tongue in annoyance. "Well, I ain't surprised. They ain't want nothing to do with a black man" he sighs and I feel awful. "I'm going to find them don't you worry. I might be a girl but I fight like an animal" I smirk and he chuckles again. "You're one brave cat Y/n" he smiles and I feel like I have my best friend back.