5.

Hilary's condo apartment was nicer than expected. "Wicked place, do you live alone?" Derek says as he unpacks his suitcase. Hilary nods her head. "The club covers everything thankfully. I like it here" she says as she shrugs her jacket off. I flop onto the couch, staring around at her belongings.

"It's better than that hotel we were at" Derek chuckles. He seems in such a good mood that it makes me suspicious. "What's up with you?" I ask, eyeing him up and down. He knows I've picked up on his energy. "I have a date with Mandi" he has a glint of excitement in his eyes. I hit his arm playfully. "Go, tiger!! Why didn't you tell me?" I buzz.

"You might've stolen her from me" he grins and I roll my eyes. Hilary glances at us oddly, not understanding what he means. "Yea yea you're lucky. Move it Wilson" I reply and he gives me a high five before grabbing his hat and leaving so I'm alone with her. "So Hil, how did childhood treat you?" I converse.

"I'd rather not discuss the details of my private and personal life thank you" she cuts me off. She then disappears into a back room. "Where are you goinggg?" I call out, wanting to delve into a conversation. "In the shower, I'll be out soon" she responds. I hear the door lock, the water running and the humming of the radio.

Now even more alone, I decide to snoop around for anything interesting. From what I can see, Hilary is a very clean person. Her furniture appears brand new but I assume it has been there for a while. I run my fingers over trinkets and decorative pieces carefully, admiring the beauty of her home.

I eventually come across a few boxes that are stuffed away into a corner of the living room. It's stuffed with newspaper clippings, they look old. Checking, I notice they're all dated from three years ago. The year 1965. I read curiously, coming across a picture of three greasers. Ponyboy Curtis, Johnny Cade and Dallas Winston. I continue reading on, sifting through a couple of readings.

I come across one last newspaper. When I see a picture of Hilary, I'm surprised. She's still beautiful as ever, the younger version of herself looking back at me. My eyes scan over the article and a sudden feeling of betrayal washes over me. 

Girl testifies in court over dead boyfriend!

Teen soc Sherri 'Cherry' Valance has testified in court over her recently deceased boyfriend Bob 'Robert' Sheldon who has been accused of trying to drown a local greaser boy before being stabbed to death by another local greaser boy. 

I spot another picture of her alongside her parents. The water finally stops running and is replaced by footsteps. "What are you doing?" She asks from behind. I turn around slowly to face the liar, her eyes growing wide at the newspaper in my hand. "Your name isn't Hilary, is it?" I ask through gritted teeth.

She sighs shakily. "No...My name is Cherry Valance."

"Cherry Valance huh?"

I pace up and down as she sits apprehensively on the couch. It feels like I'm almost interrogating her but I don't care. "It's a cute name for someone I thought was called Hilary!" I scold, leaning close to her. "I'm sorry, I just don't want anyone to know the truth about me" she replies. I raise an eyebrow.

"Because your boyfriend died?"

She falls silent, her breathing hitches. With a sigh, I take a seat next to her. "I know how it feels. Evading your hometown. I'd never go back to Vegas even if it was the last place on earth. But, why do you through so much trouble to change who you are?"

"Because I'm ashamed. After losing Bob everything fell apart. My parents weren't pleased about the trial, my friends didn't want to know me anymore. Even Bob's friends fell apart. I was alone" she explains in a quiet voice. We sit in silence, taking in the situation. Suddenly, I take her hand in mine and she almost flinches.

"I'm not mad at you. I just, want to get to know the real you" I'm gentle with her. She looks at me with her soft eyes, tucking loose curls behind her ear. "Why me? Why are you so intrigued with me?" She replies. I don't even need to think of an answer.

"Because I'm starstruck"

Cherry giggles, almost like she doesn't believe me. "I'm not that special" she doubts but I won't take that for an answer. "I think you're one of a kind, seriously. When I first laid my eyes on you I couldn't look away" I smile and she blushes intensely. I have the urge to kiss her but I won't, I can't.

"If you don't mind me asking...What was Bob like?"

She takes a deep breath, staring up at the ceiling. "He was a good guy, mostly. I hated the violence and all the fighting he did, I hated it. To me, he was so sweet and treated me well. That was until he started drinking and we argued so much until his death..." She chokes on her words a little, I rub her back comfortingly.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that but I promise, you'll do so much better now. Maybe the next person you fall in love with will treat you so much better" I say with sly intentions. Cherry smiles at me with tears in her eyes. "I really hope so..."