18.

A few weeks later

"It's good to have you back, Y/n" Audrey greets. 

I can't tell whether she's being sarcastic or not but I give a small smile anyway. My foot has finally healed and I can work again much to Cherry's joy, I know she missed having me around. Derek and Mandi wave from behind the bar which I return. It's packed in the club, laughter and drunken chatter fills the air. The strobe lights flash brightly upon the stage and it's time to get ready for yet another performance.

"Now baby are you sure your foot is okay?" Cherry fusses over me and I smile. "I'm fineee mother," I say jokingly and she rolls her eyes. "No good comes from another broken foot" she lectures. "I know I know. I'm fine, okay? Besides, I don't need Audrey barking at me tonight" she giggles at my response. "That's my girl," she praises. Damn right, I'm her girl. I attack her with a few sneaky kisses planted on her soft lips and her fair-skinned cheeks. "Stahppp" she tells me and I don't, I can't get enough. It's only when I hear Audrey's booming voice that I finally pull back and we head to the stage. 

Twist And Shout by The Beatles begins to play from the speakers and the dancers strut out. I'm positioned behind Cherry, I can't help but gaze at her body in that costume. Just wow. The audience fixates their eyes on us, watching every move closely in glee. The shows are always the best part of the night, it brings everyone together. I've done this choreo so many times it's like a walk in the park, nice and easy. Spectators clap along to the beat, Audrey and Arthur judge from backstage. As I'm dancing, I spot a commotion over at the bar. Mandi is hiding behind Derek, he himself looks petrified. I stumble on my footing, Audrey calls out to me "Aye! Watch your steps!"

I'm trying to regain focus but something doesn't feel right. The men at the bar are getting rowdy and I won't sit back any longer. I take it upon myself to hop down from the stage, the guests look confused and dazed. "Get back on stage! Finish your number!" I'm yelled at but I ignore it. "What's going on?" I demand to know. Derek doesn't say anything but his eyes speak volumes. "This is a whites only! Get your ass outta here" one man starts on a racist rant. 

It's them.

"No, YOU get outta here" I shove him with full force, sending him to the floor as his friends surround me. My heart is pumping and I feel sick but I don't show it. "You don't know anything little lady, go back to dancing" they look down on me. "Us women deserve more credit than we get, leave my friend alone or I'm calling the cops!" I threaten and they simply laugh. By now, Cherry is tugging on my arm and Audrey is still losing her mind in the back. "Y/n don't!" She pleads. "Don't what? I told you I'm getting justice Sherri so just get off my case!" I shout at her. I didn't mean to, it just slipped out. "Y/n please!" She begs and pulls at me so I shove her away too.

I spot a broom leaning against the side of the bar so without any hesitation I pick it up and whack those bastards. I don't know what has come over me, I feel in beast mode. The men curse and run out of the club but I'm not finished. My friends call me back but they're just a blur right now. With the handle still gripped in my palms, I run out into the chilly night air. I look left. Nothing. I look right. They're running. So I give chase. I must look like a lunatic but I couldn't care less right now. Two of them run into an alley and are met with a dead end. "You had this coming," I tell them. They don't back down.

"We ain't scared of no lady"

"Well...You should be"

I lash out at them, hitting and whacking left, right and centre. They curse and grunt, doubling over in pain. Who knew just a broom could cause that much damage. That's not all, I locate a crowbar rusting away in the corner. I continue my savage beating on these men shamelessly, letting all my emotions out. The alley floor gets decorated with their blood and I'm thirsty for more. "Y/N!" I hear Cherry's shrill scream. I finally let go, my weapons fall to the ground. The men are out cold, dead? I couldn't tell.

The last thing I see that night is those flashing lights. Blue and red. Everything is about to change.