Chapter 8 - Square One

You don't have long once you get home. Lexi is picking you up at 8 to get to the bar and it's already 5 by the time you walk through the door. Your dad, predictably, is out visiting your mom and Rex works until late on a Friday. You have a shower, deciding to make an effort tonight. You haven't felt this light in so long and for the first time, your guilt for feeling something close to happy again isn't overbearing.

After showering, you slip into a pair of dark skinny jeans and a blue satin tank top before applying some light make-up. Quickly straightening your already straight, dark hair, you glance in the mirror - something which you normally try to avoid. You look healthier than you have in a while, the extra meals doing well for your appearance. You strap on some chunky heels and head to the living room window, looking out for Lexi's car.

The evening is cool but the sun is still high in the sky, casting a golden glow over the town. The neighbourhood is quiet and barely any cars roll by as you wait. It's a pretty nice place when it's not raining.

You hear the rumble of a car engine from outside and you move towards the door, checking your phone. 8:03pm. Right on time. You lock up behind you and walk across to Lexi's car - a yellow mini. Of course. George sticks his head out of the window, yelling 'ooh la la!' to you as you make it to the car. You laugh as you slide in the front seat, grateful that George has taken the back. You can't go in the back. Not any more.

'Hey, sorry I'm late!' Lexi says, preppy as ever. 'I had to finish some work for class. How are you? You look great!'

'So do you guys! I'm good, I'm excited! Let's go!' you say in an uncharacteristic high pitched voice.

It only takes around 20 minutes to get to the bar. It's just outside of town and looks new and modern - not really fitting in with what you've seen of Seattle so far. As you head inside (silently thankful to the security guard not asking for ID), it's already pretty busy. George grabs your hand and quickly drags you over to a booth opposite the bar - the last remaining one in the room.

'First round on me!' yells Lexi over the music.

'Shots!' George exclaims, bopping along to the tune, already high as a kite. You laugh as he grabs your arm again, punching it up in the air with the beat. 'Wooo!' he shouts as he whips his hair around, far too excited for his own good.

You watch as Lexi balances a tray of shots on her hand, dancing back to your table. You all take one and down it in one. The liquid burns your throat - it's been a while since you last felt that sensation. 'Another!' you say, feeling the warmth spread through your chest.

'Damn right!' George says, downing his shot and grabbing the bottle for another round.

After about half an hour, the lights drop in the room and the moody stage lights pulse with the music.

'Oh my god oh my god! Let's play I never!' Lexi exclaims, her second cocktail in hand.

'YES!' shouts George in response, holding up his fourth beer triumphantly. You laugh at them, the effects of the alcohol blurring your vision a little and taking you to that happy medium place where you're still aware, but comfortably numb.

'Okay okay I'll start!' George declares. 'I never had a date to prom!' Lexi takes a drink straight away and they both look at you.

'Nope, no date for me either Georgie! Looks like we're a pair of loners together.'

'AWWWW,' a tipsy Lexi coos. 'You're lucky you have me to bring out the awesome in you.' You all laugh and take another drink. It's Lexi's turn.

'I never... went skinny dipping.' She looks at you immediately, that mischievous twinkle in her eye. All three of you take a drink at the same time, pointing and laughing at each other in delight.