Chapter 26 - See You

The room quietens as everyone looks at your parents expectantly. Your dad is stood by the TV, your mom in her wheelchair by his side. He taps the side of his glass with the knife again to get everyone's attention.

'Thanks, everyone, for coming tonight. We just wanted to say how grateful we are for your support in all of this. It's been one hell of a year. We've lost, we've battled, and we continue to fight but the main thing is that we're healthy and we're here. So truly, thank you all from the bottom of our hearts - it means the world to bring this new year in surrounded by those most important to us.'

He raises his glass and everyone follows suit, clinking them together before taking a sip. That's when your mom starts to speak. 'I- uh... it's overwhelming seeing you all here.' She coughs before continuing shakily. 'It's all still very new and fresh for me, all of this, but it's just wonderful to have you here. Rex, you've been so strong, your dad tells me. And Jim, you've held everything together. You're the glue.' You look over at your brother who smiles back at you. You take a deep breath, waiting anxiously to hear what she says about you.

Her eyes meet yours across the room and her face softens. It's the most warmth you've felt from her since you woke up. 'And then there's my girl.' You tense up as eyes fall on you from all around the room. You can't quite believe how lovingly she's speaking about you and you feel the lump rising in your throat. 'My brave girl. You've been through so much at such a young age, but you're so strong. You're my best girl, you always have been. My Robyn.'

It's as if time stops. You can feel everyone's eyes on you, watching you, horrified. You don't know what to say. Your mind is blank and you feel your throat start to close up. It feels as though the walls are closing in, eyes boring into you from every angle, nobody knowing what to say. Robyn. Her best girl.

She doesn't even realise what she's said and even your dad is standing there open mouthed, frozen to the spot. You're not sure what to do, but you know you can't stay here. You have to leave.

Slowly, in a haze, you start to back away from the doorway to the living room that you were leaning on. You just want everyone to stop fucking staring at you. You notice as Robert disappears into the spare room quickly as you back out and rush down the corridor, not even stopping to grab a coat before you step outside and slam the door behind you.

The cold shocks you and you immediately feel the tears come as you replay what's just unfolded in that room. They run emotionlessly down your face as you stare out into the night. You don't know where you're going, but your legs begin to move and you're in the street before you've even realised it. You turn left and begin to walk, not knowing where you're headed. You just need to get away from there.

Your fingers dig into your palms as you relive the moment, more and more horrified each time you repeat her words in your head. 'My best girl, Robyn...' You can't escape it.

You've only been walking a couple minutes when you hear a car crunching up the gravel road. It pulls over in front of you and you recognise it immediately as Robert's car. His door opens and he gets out, briskly walking towards you with a sympathetic look on his face. 'Come on, Rem. Get in the car,' he says softly, guiding you there with his arm around your shoulders. You comply, feeling like a ghost of your former self.

He opens the passenger door and helps you into the seat. He shuts the door behind you and walks around to the driver's side. He starts the engine and pulls out onto the road. You notice that Avery is in the back seat and immediately feel out of place. He shouldn't have to be coming to your rescue. He's got his daughter to worry about for God's sake. What are you even doing?

'Robert, I-I'm fine. You have Avery-'

He cuts you off. 'I'm taking her home anyway, remember? Honestly, just... sit.' You slump into the seat, not able to argue any more, and stare out the window as the streetlights flash past, illuminating your reflection in the glass. You remember Robert's comment about his 'baggage' and you almost laugh at how wrong he was. Here he is, his angelic daughter in the back of the car and problematic girlfr- you - in the front.