Part 3

I looked at the barrier around us. Everyone outside was looking in, but it didn't appear that they could see us as they talked amongst themselves.

"Hey... did you create this barrier?" I asked in awe.

God didn't respond at first. She moved Her hair to look at me, and my heart skipped a beat. There was this meek, innocent look strewn about Her face.

"Yes. I did not want anyone else seeing me in this sort of state... as the true God, I should not be seen in any other light except as a great being incapable of such human trivialities," She said with bashfulness in Her voice.

"I think that's what makes you a real God, though... being able to relate to those you've created. It's kind of weird thinking that you're an omnipotent and omniscient being after seeing you like this," I spoke, making my way toward her.

"You may be right," God replied, standing up and brushing nonexistent dirt off of Her flowing gown.

"I am the creator of all of these people. They have no reason to treat me like one of them, but if they do not want to accept facts, then I shall show them my real power!"

God cleared Her throat and after raising Her arms high above Her head, swung them to Her side. The barrier around us disappeared with Her movements. The village crowd stumbled backwards as we came into sight. Gregory and Lazarus both readied their swords and took up tense fighting postures. God quickly examined the crowd before turning Her attention to Gregory. She spoke in a loud, stern voice.

"Gregory Long-Iron. You have committed the most grievous of offenses against the Caedic faith. Murder is the deadliest sin of all, and the fact that you would reject your God, and go against your faith in such a manner warrants immediate trial. As your God, judge, jury and executioner, I sentence you to the life of a cripple and excommunicate you from the faith!"

As Her speech came to a close, Gregory immediately dropped his sword and fell to the ground in agony. His guttural screams echoed in the silence that emerged.

"Agh... I – I can't feel my legs! Somebody – Anybody, help! M – my eyes, I can't see!" Gregory stammered out in between his groaning and screaming.

It was as if the entire area froze. The tension in the air was almost physical as if holding people in place. Even though I had no reason to be frightened, my body was caught up with everyone else. God turned Her attention toward Lazarus.

"Lazarus Giant-Killer. You have been forgiven of your sins of committing adultery, however, you are to face immediate trial as well for neglecting to seek forgiveness."

She moved Her arms about in a wide gesture.

"As your God, judge, jury and executioner, I sentence you to excommunication from the faith. All shall know of you and your deeds, and in addition, you shall never be with a woman again. This includes your wife!" She stated sternly over Gregory's agonizing groans.

Lazarus dropped to his knees in defeat. His face gave away what he was thinking. Excommunicated. No longer able to lay with a woman. These are some pretty harsh judgements, I thought. It didn't appear that Lazarus' punishment was nearly as severe, at least in a physical nature. God turned to face the crowd that had gathered.

"Do you all believe now? I am God. I am the true creator and this here is my champion!" She said, wrapping Her arm around my neck and pulling me close.

She smells so nice, I thought. I looked at Her face as She spoke – it was like a trance. I could see how almost every man was captivated by her. Not only did She look like the perfect woman, but She smelled like the perfect woman. It was hard not to think of Her with lust-filled thoughts despite my strongest attempts.

"- Vier... Xavier!" God said

I came to and realized everyone was looking at me while I stared absent mindedly in awe at God. I looked toward the ground as I felt my face grow red from embarrassment.

"Uh ... yea. What She said," I mumbled out barely loud enough for me to hear.

"He may seem shy now, but trust me, he will prove that I am the one true God. Go forth, tell everyone about me and my champion!" She shouted with exuberance.

Everyone dropped to the ground and began bowing deeply. I could hear people praying out loud and others apologizing for their sins and begging forgiveness. The two of us stood there rather awkwardly until they realized She meant what She said.

The villagers dispersed rapidly, leaving the now crippled Gregory and disowned Lazarus to their fates. Gregory must've passed out from the pain of losing his senses or something and Lazarus seemed to be in some sort of daze as he stared at the sky absently.

I casually examined the surroundings in the following moments until I felt a weight against my side. I glanced over to see God leaning against me. She was completely silent even after I tried talking to her. This is kind of weird, I thought.

I got lost looking at Her beautiful face, even after She turned to look at me. It was then that I noticed She had a solemn look strewn across Her features. Solemnity and sadness. Before I could even ask, She spoke.

"It hurts, deep down."

I could only assume She was referring to having to excommunicate someone from Her religion, which is something I couldn't begin to relate to.

"I... I feel as though I am hurting a child when I have to do something like this," She spoke softly, pausing a brief moment.

"There is no feasible way for you to truly understand what I mean; however, this is nice..."

She didn't elaborate, so my mind was left to wander. Just as I began to lean my head back against hers, She broke away from me. The villagers had already begun to depart, and when the last ones left, She turned to me once more.

"So, Xavier. How about we go on a trip?" She asked enthusiastically, no hint of the sadness before.

A trip with God, huh? That's not half-bad given my current predicament, I thought. I approached Her with a single step, brought my arm down and across my stomach and bowed in a gracious manner, mimicking a couple old-timey shows I'd seen before.

"It would be my pleasure," I stated.

When I raised my head, I saw, once more, the gentle smile of a woman who stole the heart of any man She laid eyes upon. A smile that showed not only innocence, but care; it caused my heart to skip a beat.

"Then lead the way, my champion," She spoke.

I realized something new in that moment ... all the villagers had departed on their wagons. I told God to wait and made a mad sprint to the nearest one. It seemed like I would never catch up, but after what felt like minutes of screaming and running, the last wagon departing the village came to a halt.

With a brief exchange, I got the driver – an older gentleman with his wife and son in the back – to turn around and pick up the two of us. He did so with a fierceness I doubt his wife had encountered in a long while.

It seemed that this would be the start of my long journey, and as much as I dreaded the fact that I pulled God into the world with me, I had this small, longing hope that She wouldn't find a way to return to the afterlife. I'm rather selfish, aren't I? I mused.