Part 19

The road opened and became as wide as a six-lane highway. Dozens of caravans, wagons, and various peddlers were traversing it.

While many of the caravans were pulled by horses, there were many that weren't. Some were pulled by creatures reminiscent of pink and green velociraptors, and others were pulled by large, eight legged beasts that looked like a mixture between an elephant and crocodile. It was difficult not to be surprised at the variety before me.

Similar to a highway, it seemed there were designated 'lanes' on the well-tread road. The large beasts with their massive wagons stayed to the far right while horse-drawn or other speedier beasts of burden stayed to the far left. All others seemed to use the middle.

Most of the people we passed by were human. Occasionally I'd see people with long, pointed ears, sometimes pointing up, others straight back, and some down.

Now this is a fantasy world, I laughed to myself.

"Is this what you envisioned when I asked?" a voice came from behind.

I needn't even turn my head to know whom it was.

"Yeah," I replied simply.

The air, too, seemed to have changed since we left the forest. It was lighter, clearer.

That evening, we pulled off to the right side of the road alongside another group who already retired for the night. There were at least a dozen fully armed guards, most had swords while the remaining ones had bows with quivers filled with arrows.

If you were to compare it to a video game, it was like a new player meeting a high level one. Their caravan was illustrious, with wooden doors and windows to see out of their carriages, each door containing engravings of different things.

A short, stocky man wearing a black tuxedo with red lining, a slick-back hairstyle and a handlebar mustache walked up to us.

"Ladies, gentlemen. Resting up for the night?" he asked in a deep British-like accent.

"Yessir, as are you?" Gillfreid asked.

"Indeed we are. Where are you travelling from?"

"Tult," Gillfreid laughed out.

"Ah. I remember my days peddling to there. Good town. How were the roads?"

"Uneventful," I chimed in.

They all looked at me, Gillfreid with a questioning look, and Jayde with a subtle disbelief across her face.

"Actually, it was quite eventful," she piped up, stepping down from the wagon.

What are you doing? I glared at her.

She walked around toward our wagon, patting Aurias on the side of his neck.

"Oh?" the man asked.

"This man single-handedly warded off bandits and got us out of a pinch inside the forest roads leading to Tult," she chuckled.

"I did no such thing," I snapped back.

I heard rustling coming from behind me and turned to see Thea poking her head out.

"He is quite a modest person. 'Tis true. Single-handedly. A whole group of bandits! There were at least six of them!" Thea exclaimed overdramatically.

I followed Thea's gaze to Jayde. I wasn't sure what to think, other than a conspiracy was being plotted against me.

"Six armed bandits on your own, what a feat! You must be very powerful!" the man said excitedly.

"Ah, we have not introduced each other yet. My name is Ruben Thurge," he said, reaching out a hand.

I hopped off the wagon and moved to shake his hand in return.

"My name is Xavier."

His palms were coated in a light sheen of sweat, and now that I was even closer, the dim light from the campfires around us showed intrigue dancing in his eyes like the flickering flames to our side. I let go of his hand before his sweat became any thicker.

"Xavier, huh? That is quite an interesting name. Back in my homeland, we have a tale about a man named Xavier."

"Pray tell!" Jayde chimed in.

Ruben looked to each of us before starting his story. Gillfreid had settled into his sleeping bag to the side of the campfire. Jayde was petting Aurias, who didn't seem to mind, and Thea kept all but her head and arms hidden.

"Thousands of years ago there used to be a man named Xavier who started out as a humble individual. He worked for the king at the time as his personal aide. During one day, Xavier stumbled upon a portal in the king's basement, and when he investigated, he was pulled into it. The story is that he came back three days later, but with the ability to cast magic."

He glanced around as he spoke, and spoke in a slightly lower tone.

"When the king learned of this, he demanded Xavier teach him, and when he refused, the king ordered his execution. In anger, Xavier used his magic to create the Great Rift in the Lulien Valley. When Xavier died, whatever power that fueled his magic burst forth and inhabited various individuals."

Ruben took a pause to breathe.

"It is said that there are thousands with the ability to cast magic to this day, but most remain reclusive, never giving their abilities light in fear of being hunted down."

What a coincidence I stumbled onto him and his story, I thought.

I glanced at Thea, who shrugged nonchalantly.

"So, there are a bunch of people that can use magic, but not a single one of them uses it publicly?" Jayde asked, intrigued.

"That is how the story goes, anyway. During my travels, I have heard of many individuals using magic. A few supposedly work with some kingdoms, others are just going around helping people. I have heard that in the far North and East magic users are causing mass deaths for nefarious purposes."

"How do you know it's credible?" I asked.

"A few of my contacts in those regions sent word of undead armies and monstrous hordes being controlled by two people. One of the letters they sent detailed a clash between the two, causing the death of an entire kingdom," he replied solemnly.

Jayde gave me a strange look.

"I guess we should avoid those regions in our travels," I shrugged.

"Anywho, I guess we should all rest. It is going to be a busy day tomorrow," Ruben said, bidding us a goodnight.

After he returned to his caravan, Jayde approached me.