Part 18

Right as his companions began moving, I channeled the magic around me and casted Steam Wave.

Fire and water shot from my hands and merged to create a thick, opaque billowing cloud of steam. I turned to the left in a wide arc, doubling back over the guys I hit in front to cover the right.

The bandits closest to us screamed out as scalding hot steam seared their skin, followed by the rest of the men who had begun moving from the foliage. Since there was little to no wind, the steam remained in place, lowering visibility in the area significantly.

"Gust Storm," I spoke, crisscrossing my arms a couple different times in alternating directions.

The steam swirled into a small, intense spiral of steamy air that launched toward the three men in the middle. The small tornado cleared a visible path through the road, and in the distance, I saw the three men being carried away by it. Their shouts became more and more distant every few seconds.

Aurias took the queue to begin moving. Jayde quickly followed suit and we were off. I heard someone shout to stop us, but they couldn't see.

The three bandits being carried by the tornado were launched out and went tumbling dozens of feet, losing their swords in the process. We caught up to them, and as we passed, they tried to jump out of the way.

I drew my arms back, and pushed forward, shouting 'Push'.

A small burst of high pressure exuded from me and slammed into a couple bandits, launching them back into the trees behind. One slammed directly into a tree and slumped. I wasn't sure where the other landed as I checked to ensure Gillfreid was following.

Once we were clear of the steam-cloud and out of sight of the bandits, we slowed down.

"You can come out now," I called to the two hiding in the back.

Thea poked her head out while Gillfreid retook the reins on his wagon. Jayde and I exchanged looks, but neither of us spoke. It was obvious she wanted to say something, though.

"I don't even wish to ask questions as to how you got us out," Gillfreid commented.

"Nonetheless, thank you very much."

"I'm just doing the job you hired me for," I smiled.

"That you are. I'll be sure to let my companions know of your bravery."

We continued travelling well into the night, making sure we gained as much distance between the bandits as we could. A thunderstorm had rolled in during the evening, and it was probably around midnight when we finally stopped to rest.

Everyone went into the wagons for the night, save me. I decided to take watch for the whole night just to be sure everything would be okay. No one gave any qualms, thus I was left to my own devices.

It was dark, dreary and miserable having to stay up by myself. On multiple occasions, the consistent beating of the rain over the top of the wagon and on the trees almost lulled me to sleep. In order to stay awake, I'd manipulate the rain as it came down and played around with some small experiments.

"I very much would like to be covered," Aurias commented some point in the night.

"You have the trees over you, no?"

"It is not the same as being covered. I may be immune to disease, but that does not remove the unpleasantness of being out."

I chuckled softly.

"Sorry, I'll get you a tarp you can lay under in the next location."

"I appreciate your compassion."

I thought he might've been trying to make me feel guilty, or it could've just been how his personality was.

The night thankfully passed without incident, and once everyone awoke, I had Thea take the reins before I passed out. I ended up sleeping for a good part of the day, which really screwed my sleep schedule.

The remaining time we rode, I had this itching feeling like someone was watching me. It had to be Jayde, as I made sure Gillfreid didn't see me casting.

"How do you enjoy the world thus far?" Thea asked idly one day.

"Aside from the rough start?"

"Yes."

"Not having a shower available is more vexing than I ever thought. No toilets were another thing. No cars. I really took everything for granted," I mused.

"'Tis not so. It came with the technological progression of time."

Having things that were otherwise unavailable in other countries was rather nice. It still sounded like I and everyone else took those things for granted, regardless.

As if reading my mind, she continued.

"The disparity in technology between countries in your old world is common with universes of that type. 'Tis normal to enjoy the luxuries that become a necessity of life as new inventions come about."

"Makes sense," I mumbled.

"Now that you are in a time before all of that, you have the opportunity to influence the world around you in wondrous ways. If you wished to, you might even be so brazen as to bring in some of those inventions," she rested her head on a small pillow, smiling.

"I don't even know how most of those things work, but I guess it wouldn't be too farfetched to recreate something I do know about."

"'Tis the spirit!" she goaded.

Our conversations went along those lines – simple, yet engaging. I was glad, because my brain wasn't ready to be overloaded just yet. I also spoke to Jayde just a bit during the nights in passing of shifts, but that was it. We didn't encounter any more bandits or craziness once we exited the forest.