Part 7

"I understand, I think. Then one last question before we go check on Matteas – what are the requirements for a species to become a God in this universe?"

She pondered for a couple seconds before finally replying.

"'Tis an individual effort. Other universes I created similar in that regard. Once an individual possesses a certain amount of power and learns the prerequisite spells or ability level, that person will be able to transcend in this universe."

That means I might be able to become a God ... what will that even mean? Do I have the capabilities to even mount that challenge? I pondered. I nodded in understanding of Her words and stood up. The conversation was a bit too enlightening for me, and probably would've been for anyone. I sighed deeply and left the room with God in tow. I knocked on Leeris' room but got no answer. I shrugged my shoulders and headed downstairs, finding them with Matteas at one of the tables. I waved my hand in silent greeting and approached them.

"Here's the remaining money. We got two rooms for three days and nights," I said, placing the pouch onto the table.

He took it and attached it to his belt. I gave him a light bow, bringing my arm across my chest.

"I appreciate everything you've done for us, Matteas. I won't forget your kindness, and I'll repay you in kind when we have the chance," I said before turning to walk away.

Before I got to the door, he called my name. When I turned around, he stood before me and handed me five silver coins.

"You might need it," he smiled gratefully.

I thanked him once more and left. I didn't really know where to go besides maybe some of the places Matteas talked about on our travel here. The streets weren't terribly crowded, but the several closed-top wagons riding through made traversing a bit troublesome.

We walked for maybe half an hour before coming to a moderately sized two-story brick building. There was plenty of rowdy sound coming from inside, and a large wooden sign hanging above read 'Mercer Mercenary Guild' written in black.

I assumed this guild would be good as any to find some quick work to keep us floating, and to repay Matteas. There were a couple windows on the first floor that were open and as we passed one of them, I glanced inside to see a large group of men and women having a good time by way of drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.

I told God to wait outside. Knowing the average person, Her sight would cause an uproar, especially if everyone was drinking during the day time like the alcoholics they seemed to be.

Everyone was dressed in a wide variety of apparel, but none had robes similar to mine. Thankfully, no one really paid me any mind; I did, however, have to avoid a couple guys stumbling around with full mugs before I reached the reception counter. A woman about my height with a blonde ponytail greeted me.

"Good afternoon sir, are you here to place a quest?" she asked over the uproar of people

"No, I'm actually here seeking work. I recently got into town and I'm not from around here."

"Oh, fantastic! We actually have a few openings left until Mr. Mercer closes down registration."

"That's great! I'm actually with a partner, and I'd like to register Her as well. She's currently outside, but I don't want to bring Her in here out of fear of safety. You see, she's quite the beauty and I don't quite know any of these men!" I joked.

"Do not worry, sir. If any of them cause trouble I will stop it myself," she chuckled, though I her eyes told me she meant it.

I nodded and headed back out. Fortunately, God was still standing there. Unsurprisingly, most of the men coherent enough to pay attention gawked and stared at Her as we made our way toward the receptionist. Strangely enough, the volume in the room quieted a bit.

"Wow, she really is an eye-catcher! Before I can register you, I need your names and any titles you hold," she said, withdrawing a piece of paper.

It hadn't occurred to me to give God a fake name. After all, She was God.

"I am Xavier," I stated.

"And you may call me Thea," God spoke.

"Fantastic ... Xavier ... and Thea. I assume neither of you have any titles to add?"

God glanced toward me, to which I shook my head.

"Very well. I will cover some further topics after we finish your registration. Since the two of you are in a group, would you like to create a group name? It is optional, but a group name is usually spread faster than an individual's."

A group name would be good to use. I wonder if God has any ideas, I thought. I glanced over to see Her pondering with intensity. One would think an omnipotent being wouldn't need to ponder for something so trivial, but with all the information flowing in Her mind, it made sense.

"I believe 'Final Bastion' is a good fit. How do you feel about that, Xavier?" She asked with a smile.

"I guess I have no qualms," I shrugged a little.

The receptionist noted its uniqueness and wrote it in. She asked us a few more questions pertaining to our abilities, backgrounds and other small details afterward. When all was said and done, she departed for a few moments before returning with a couple copper-colored bracelets. We were told the bracelets signified a person or group's standing within the guild's ranks, and that the ranks started at copper and ended up at the top with 'Halifax'.

I asked a few more questions pertaining to how a group was promoted, taxes to the guild, travel, merchant discounts, and various other things. We were standing at the desk for a solid hour or so getting all of the information I needed at that time before finally leaving. The rowdy mood had returned about half-way through our conversation, so we had to speak over the low cacophony once more. Just before exiting, I examined the quest board to see what was available.

The board contained a multitude of quests for varying ranks ranging from simple escorts to the slaying of certain beasts. I grabbed a silver-ranked quest and brought it to the receptionist who stamped it with a seal and placed it on another board for accepted quests.

The receptionist told us that any group or individual can accept any ranked quest they please, the tradeoff is that failure to complete the quest warranted a failure fee reflecting the difficulty of the quest itself.

Additionally, if a group were to take on a quest at least two ranks higher, the reward they'd get is multiplied by the guild itself. The higher the gap in difference, the higher the multiplier.

It was a nice system that kept weak mercenaries from taking on jobs that required a lot more skill and experience. In order to rank up in the guild, a group needed to accrue a certain amount of money and essentially buy its way up the ranks. The only time a promotion was given was when a group took on successive quests higher than its own rank.

With the skills I learned myself, I felt it was a viability to take on a quest that required me to kill something higher than my rank. I had yet to actually kill another creature, but if it meant I could practice my abilities, I guess it wasn't all bad.

We finally left the building and proceeded on our way to the quest's location. Our job was to kill a tribe of goblins that had settled just outside the town.