End and beginning (Zhongli/Childe)

Warmth. It felt warm, like home, like love. A feeling that he hadn't felt in a long time. A feeling he thought he would never feel again. But now, in that moment, he felt it. And it felt so incredibly real, even though he knew deep down that it couldn't be true.
But Childe had hoped for so long that everything that had happened was just a dream that he didn't dare to believe this feeling he had inside.
Sitting on the archon's lap, he wrapped his arms around his neck and smiled his most beautiful smile when the dark-haired wrapped his arms around his waist.

"I've missed you.", Childe whispered so softly that it was barely audible, an unbelievable vulnerability in his voice.
"I was never gone.", Zhongli replied so calm, almost like it was the most honest thing he'd ever said.
"That's not true and you know that. You've been gone so long already. I can barely remember you. Your eyes, your smell, your voice. It disappears more and more. And, although I never wanted to admit it, it scares me.", no one had ever seen Childe the way he looked at that moment. So sad, so lost. Zhongli slowly stroked his back and sighed.
"I am really sorry, Childe."
"You lied to me."
"No, I didn't lie. What I said was what I honestly believed. Nobody is in a position to predict which turn life is about to take."
"I believed you when you said you wanted to marry me. I believed you when you said you would never leave me. And when you promised to take me back to Snezhnaya if I should die here."
"You believed it because it was the truth."
"The truth ... now why is nothing like this truth?... I'm not even allowed to visit you."
"There is no need to visit me. I am not there. I did not die."
"Where are you if not there?"
"I am everywhere you want me to be. I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
And even if you are not able to see it at the moment, to feel it, the day will come when we will both return to where everything begins and nothing ends."
Childe scoffed, a few tears rolling down his reddened cheeks. He wanted to hit him as well as just hold on tight. Hate and love him. He was afraid to forget him but at the same time wished it had never happened.
Zhongli pulled him closer  hugged him tightly and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

"I am sorry.", he whispered while Childe clawed his hands in his back, hoping he could never leave again.
"... how is it where you are?", Childe asked carefully.
"I am nowhere. Only sometimes, on particularly dark days, I can see what could have been. It's beautiful.. and incredibly painful. I am not aware of what it means, but I regret that it did not turn out that way."
"...what did you see?"
"I shouldn't be telling you this, Childe. I don't want to hurt you anymore. But someday, maybe it will happen. Not here, not now, not us as we were, but we what we can be."
"Do you really believe that?"
"I have to believe in something to make the silence a little less loud."
Childe sighed and moved a little to kiss the archon. He felt his heart beat again when he felt the other's lips, the warm breath, the love he felt for him.

When he woke up it was cold. The bed empty, the room dark. It didn't smell like anything and felt lonely. Almost more than before. Childe sat up slowly and wiped the tears from his face with his sleeve. He sighed before he stood up, dressed himself, took the bag he had packed months ago and stared at the picture on the wall that he had avoided looking at.
"Maybe it will happen, hm?", he whispered as he took the golden ring from the dresser and put it on his finger.
"..maybe it will."

-

"Ajax!"
"I'm coming! Just a sec!"
"Have you misplaced that weird ring again?"
"I need it!  I don't know why but I think it's my lucky charm!"
"Ugh...That you believe in something like that...haha.. go now!"
The boy ran off, almost too late, as always, to catch the bus in time.
He sat down on the only free seat and smiled at the attractive man sitting next to him. The dark-haired simply smiled back.
"Peww...made it in time again. Believe without my lucky charm here I would miss the bus everyday. Maybe it'll bring me luck in other things too.", Ajax sounded happy even though he didn't even know why he was talking to a stranger, a bright grin gracing his lips.
"Maybe it will."