Chapter 2

"Lucy, supper is all ready!" Lucy heard her mother call out.

    She smiled as she entered the kitchen.  "It sure smells great, mother."

       After the blessing, Lucy started to eat.

      "Lucy, do not tell you turned Loke down again. He is a prime gentleman."

     "Mother,  you can not be serious!" Lucy blurted out in between bites of mashed potatoes and peas.

         Layla only smiled.  

     Lucy never understood why her mother seemed to approve of Loke. It was not like her.  Not when her mother had scoffed at the idea of her daughter with any other man in the small village they lived in at this time in their lives. Perhaps, her mother had stood in the sunshine too long. 

      After Lucy finished the delicious meal complete with steak well done just as she liked it, she did the dishes.  She pondered if her mother kept the place in the hopes of grandchildren. Ugh, she thought the whole thing sounded just plain distasteful.  She dared not say as much. She knew how much her mother loved children.

      Despite no siblings, she was sure her mother's attentiveness had more to do with her hopes for a good future more than anything else.  She felt like her mother's response to Loke's clinginess proved it all.  Her mother wanted her to get married.

      "I  do not think I want to marry.  I mean it. There are lots of single pringles around here."

       "My daughter will not turn out to be a lonely old maid. I will see  to  it that you will not."

            Lucy quickly finished the dishes.  She almost broke a plate.   She shook her head on the way to her room.  She had no intentions to give up that easily.

            "Mother, it is out of the question,"  She yelled down the staircase.  She slammed the door to show her disappointment at once.

             She was almost nineteen years old. She was old enough for herself to decide if she wanted to marry or remain single.  Now, why could not her mother see this her way?

            Find out more in Chapter 3

           -Summer out!