Chapter 4

Lucy felt unloved lately.  She felt as if the other ladies in town were jealous of the attention Sting gave her.  She never once asked for it. She despised him ever since he tried to drown her when they were kids.

    Sure he claimed it was a joke, but she never could find herself able to forgive him. It was something too dreadful for even him to tease her about it.

    Then, she remembered how her father used to abuse her before his untimely death.  Now, it was just her mother and her.  It was not much, but it was something.

     Now, her mother wanted to change all that at the drop of a hat.

      She thought to herself, Sorry to disappoint you, mother.  I can do it.  I could never marry someone I do not love.

        She waited until her mother was busy. It was the perfect moment for her to put her plan into action. It was basically now or never.

            Lucy knew there was no turning back now.  Besides, unknown to her mother, the man who was about to become her stepfather did not treat her well.  She was too embarrassed to say anything about it.  It was due to this nonstop fear. She was afraid her mother would never believe her or assume she made the whole thing up.

           What was she to do? She could not just stand by idle and let the man continue to abuse her.  Nor could she allow her mother to ruin her love life for her.  Not that she had much of one anyway.

           She tucked a snack into her left sock.  It was in case the journey ahead was a rough one.

          Little did she know what she was about to get into.

          Find out more in Chapter 5

            -Summer out!