Chapter 1

Lucy ran away as fast as she could. She did not have time for this. She had a cart to catch. Ugh, she thought, why can not  I ever have a normal day?  She chased after the thing as it rolled slowly down the hill.  Her mule ran away as he always was a stubborn old thing.

   She finally caught up with it, but before she could retrieve her book, she fell with a splash into the nearby stream.   Great, now I am all wet was the first thought on her mind. She stood up, grabbed the book, and shook herself off. She was grateful she lived alone with her mother. 

   At least this way, if people judged her, it did not bother her as much.  She told herself this as she headed home.  Soaked to the bone once more.  It was a daily occurrence for her.  Not the cart, but the water.

    She laughed all the way back to the house.  It was a mansion.  The whole thing puzzled her why she and her mother lived in such an enormous place. It was not like she had any siblings. Her father was long gone. She never was sad about it since he was a harsh man.  

     Lucy arrived a few minutes before supper time. She left her book to dry out by the fireplace and headed upstairs. She took a quick shower, dried off, and changed clothes.  Now, she went into the kitchen.

    She was glad after the day she just had that the meal was something pleasant. She could use some good news for a change.  The proposal from today was still fresh on her mind as annoyed as it made her.  Goodness, it was like the man would not take no for an answer.

    Well, she had shown him. She was not about to cave into his advances.

    She was just fine with singlehood. It had its advantages.

     Find out more in Chapter 2

   -Summer out!