Chapter 8

"I  mean, you do not appear to have anyone else to help with the chores.  I could stay on as a servant girl."

    "Nah, I have done that before, and things turned out to be a disaster. The last maid quiet within a week." 

    "I suppose I could do nothing."

   "Fine, you can help me with the kitchen, but only that area of the house."

    "Oh, and the grounds is off limits especially, my rose garden."

      "Rose garden, I did not know you had one of those!"  

   Natsu could tell by the surprised reaction that she was serious.  He nodded his head.  "It so happens it has pink, red, blue, and even white roses that grow in it."

    Lucy smirked.  "Ah, I see. It sounds quite lovely.  I promise not to tread into it."

     She saw him raise an eyebrow.

     "I know you have a red rose inside the vase in your room here. I uh, put it in water for you while you were resting last night.  I suppose this means I might have to deal with a furious boyfriend."

      "B-Boyfriend? No, as it happens, I am single." 

      "Oh, well, that is too bad."

  Lucy frowned.  "Fine, I ran away from home because my mother wants me to marry this young man named Loke. I hardly know him.  Yet, she thinks he is my perfect match."

     Natsu puffed his lip out.  "Perfect match, ha!  There is no such thing."       

      "See you, and I will be great friends."

          "Friends, no little lady.  No one is ever friends with me. For that matter, I am just the local beast."

          "I do not know about that now. I do know you fixed a splendid breakfast."

           Lucy washed the dishes, despite his protest, but let him dry them. As he put them away, she saw him relax. She had no idea what this all meant.

          She held the golden band she found the other day. She had no clues as to it belonged.  It did look bent out of shape and had some ice crystals on it.  She knew it was impossible because the sun was out. It was warm weather. Yet, there was ice on the ring. At least, she assumed that was what it was anyway.

             Find out more in Chapter 9

             -Summer out!