Chapter 24

Natsu heard a noise outside. He immediately went to the tree and took a look around it.  He was about to go inside when he heard the faint meow noise once more. He smiled when he saw the kitten and helped it get untangled from one of the tree limbs.

     "Awe, you are so precious. I wonder if Lucy likes cats."

     "I suppose there is only one way to find out."

   Natsu took the cat inside with him and closed the door. He locked it tight.  He fed the cat some tuna and poured it some water to drink. 

    "Lucy, you alright?"

   He received no response, so he went upstairs.  

     "Ah, there you are.  Listen, Luce, I found this stray, and I brought it home."

     Lucy turned away from the ceiling for a moment to pay attention to Natsu. She saw the happy look on his face. She felt jealous of whoever put it there.  She sighed just a bit.

    "Stray is it,  mean?"

     "I do not think so."

      "Then, where is it?'

    "Oh, it is downstairs."

  Lucy raced Natsu downstairs. She did not say a word when Natsu let her win.

       She followed the sound into the kitchen. She picked up the kitten and petted it on its head.

  "I take it you like the surprise, then?"

   "Like it, I love it!"

    "Great, then it is yours."

      "Oh, thank you, Natsu!"  Lucy leaned over and kissed his forehead. She pulled away when it dawned on her what she had done.

       Lucy heard a bang at the back door. She took the cat into the cellar as directed by Natsu.

         She stood still unsure what to think.  She sure hoped Natsu would be okay.  

          "Do not let anything happen to him," She pleaded in a quick prayer as she stood in the dark with the kitten asleep on her lap. 

            Natsu inspected the door.  He saw that the wind had picked up.  He could tell it did not look so good. He grabbed a few pieces of wood and used them to block the door from flying wide open.  Then, he got some blankets, a pillow, some food, some bottled water, a few magazines, a game, and a few other things like a flashlight and the emergency radio.

           He went into the cellar next.  Once inside he switched on the light and made sure it was secure. He could not risk the chance it would blow open.  He walked over to where Lucy stood and set down the items.  He made a place in the corner for the cat and gently took it from her.  

          "Lucy, I  want you to know that no matter what it is been great having you here."

          "I know, and I am so sorry."

           "S-Sorry, you need not be sorry for anything, Luce."

           "But your scars, I saw them and..."

         "It is alright, most of those were from years ago. The bruise was from when I pulled Sting away from you and the scar near my eye was when he tried to stab you."

          Lucy reached up and gently touched his face. She was careful not to hurt the area that already had started to heal. She felt herself tremble as Natsu muttered, "L-Luce, y-you do not know what you do to m-me. "  

 She let go of his face. She let him hold her hand. She knew he would not harm her.

           She took her other hand and put it on his chest.  She blushed when she realized she could feel his skin under the shirt. She almost pulled away but he stared into her eyes. She felt herself get lost in them.  She knew she should not want this.  

         "N-Natsu, I-I..."

      Natsu leaned in close so that his lips almost touched hers.  "Luce, it is alright, you do not have to pity me.  You do not even have to love me." 

       He pulled away before he could taste her mouth. He must not do that to her. 

      He did not want to mess this up.  He did not think he was ready for her to know how he felt yet. Besides, who knew what could happen if he did kiss her lips?

       Lucy missed the warmth from his closeness. She did not say a word as he sat on the floor. She yawned. As the lights flickered off,  she laid on the floor and pulled a blanket over her.

     Little did she know that it was not the pillow her head was on now.  She had placed her head on Natsu's chest.  She did not notice when he gasped.  

    Natsu wrapped his arms around her.  He whispered in the darkness, "Lucy, promise me that  someday, you will find happiness."

    Soon, he dozed off.

The story continues in  Chapter 25

    bye, bye little owlets!

   -Summer out!