Chapter 6

The next day, Layla got ready for the day.  She noticed Lucy was rather quiet.

    She figured maybe her daughter had slept in.  She had no idea how far from the truth she was right then.  She called out,  "Lucy, breakfast is ready!  Oh, and wear something nice because we have a visitor!"

     Layla got no response. She set the table and sent him up after her. Maybe, with a bit of persuasion, her daughter would come to see things her way.  Besides, she was about to get remarried herself and did not want Lucy to be all alone.

    She watched as he went to speak to Lucy. She sighed.  Yep, she made the right decision.  

      She saw him come back without Lucy. She frowned. Where could have that girl have gone off to?  Was it yesterday she acted as if her sleep had been disturbed or something?

       "Well, where is she?"  Layla asked with a hand on one hip.

       "Oh, that is just the thing, sweetheart, she is not there. "

       "What do you mean?" Layla screeched.

      "Now, dear, try to be reasonable about all this." 

     "My daughter is gone, and you tell me to be reasonable. We must find her at  once!" Layla demanded. 

       Layla's fiance only nodded his head.  He had no clue how long Lucy had been gone.  He did not dare state that he thought the girl had been kidnapped. No, that would only add to his beloved's worries. Instead, he put on his jacket and joined her in the search for her dear child. 

         The two searched the neighborhood and the rest of the village. Still, there was no sign of her.  Layla gasped with tears that soaked her cheeks.  "I was too hard on her.  It is why she ran away. Oh, dear me. What will I ever do now?"  She wailed.

           He held her close in his embrace without another word. He could see how upset she was without stating the worst.  

    Find out more in Chapter 7

    -Summer out!