Chapter 5

Lucy waited until her mother was busy with something. She put on a jacket.  She packed a few things in her knapsack and climbed out the window.  Once on the ground, she put the bag on her back. She ran as far away as she could. She loved her mother, but she could stay at home anymore.  

     She refused to agree to marry a man just because he was persistently a pest. Besides, she barely knew him.  She found herself in the road.  Odd, she thought, how did this get here?  She picked up the bright red rose that shone in the sun's rays. She held onto it.  She saw the truck come.

    Lucy knew she should have moved but suddenly felt frozen in place. She did not know what her problem was. She could not seem to budge.  She was in danger, and she just stood there in the middle of the street.

     "Hey, Miss, watch out!"  She heard a voice yell at her.

        Lucy felt someone grab her and pull her to safety. She was too stunned to speak.   She was so overcome with sorrow over her predicament she was not thinking right.  She did not pay attention as whoever it carried her towards the woods.

         She passed out as soon as they were past the clearing.  She was so vulnerable. She had no idea where he took her. She was not aware of her surroundings or circumstances right then.

          Lucy was held in his arms gently as he took her into his home. Once inside, he set her on the bed in the spare room.  He was not sure what else to do with her. It was not like he thought to check for an id.  

             As she slept, he removed the bag.  Out of respect for her privacy, he set it in a chair beside the bed.  He heard her moan in her sleep.  He removed a spare cover from the closet and tucked it around her.  There he thought,  perhaps that will help her not to freeze.

              He left the room without a word.  He shut the door.  He was not sure what to do with her. He only went outside to tend to his rose garden and heard the harsh sound of tires that squealed.  He sensed someone needed help, so he left and came to her aid.

                Now, as she remained asleep in his extra room, he went back to the flowers.  He took good care of them because his counselor claimed it was good therapy to keep up with such a thing.  It seemed like burdensome work so far.  He felt a thorn poke his left shoulder. He cringed at the pain it brought him.

                Tomorrow, he would try his best to get her to speak. Otherwise, he would have to wait until she was ready to get her back where she belonged.  Little did he know how good she would be for him or him for her.

                 Find out more in Chapter 6

                   -Summer out!