Chapter 10

Lucy awakened that evening to the sound of the wind as it hollowed, the rain as it pattered against the tin roof, and the deep groans that sounded like someone in pain. It almost reminded her of a lovesick puppy.  Strange that all these things suddenly disturbed her sleep.  She attempted to get more rest, but it was no use.

     She climbed out of bed. She left the room but took a flashlight with her. She could not risk the disturbance of the master of the house. She shuddered to think what might happen if she did. She ran towards the room across from hers.  

      Once inside, she crept over to the bed. She saw the master asleep with his mouth that drooped right open. As he snored, she stifled a laugh that almost escaped. Goodness, the fellow was so adorable. She blushed.  

    Adorable?  Since when had she thought of him this way.  She had no right to. No, right at all.

      Besides, she might leave him soon.  She pitied him with the way his beard hung over the edge of the bed and how his feet stopped at the end with his toes all curled up.  The whole thing must be rather uncomfortable.  Why did not he say anything?

     She heard another groan come from his direction and almost dropped the light.  She turned it off.  She felt rather silly about the whole thing. She felt tired, and her eyes grew droopy. She did not give it another thought as she climbed into bed with him. She dropped the covers over them both.  Soon she was off to a nice blissful sleep once more.

         The next day, Lucy slept peacefully.  

       Natsu awakened in sheer astonishment. His hands were on the girl's shoulders. He knew he could scarcely call her a girl as she was a woman.  He felt his face heat up and pulled away. He dared not say a word. He did not want to startle her.  He gently stood up.  He entered the bathroom, showered, and changed his garments.

       He went downstairs and cooked breakfast. The whole time he pondered what the scene he saw when he opened his eyes meant. Surely, he had taken advantage of his guest. He knew he would never forgive himself if he had done such a thing.  He scratched his head in confusion as he prepared the table.  He sat down with his cup of coffee and orange juice.

      He blushed when he heard the shower turn off with thoughts about how he would feel if he ever joined her in there.  He shook his head.  No, she was not his.

         A few moments later, Lucy was all done and came to the table in a cute dress.  She had not noticed when Natsu stared at her.  She paid no attention when he listened closely to her prayer before he ate. She smiled.

       The meal finished rather suddenly when someone knocked at the door.

          Natsu answered it as Lucy tended to the dishes.  "Yes?"  His voice was much gruffer than he expected.

          He listened as the messenger at the door told him about a young lady who was considered missing. He frowned.  He could tell it sounded a lot like Lucy.  He told the man good day and slammed the door in his face.

           Lucy looked up. The door startled her.  "What was that all about Natsu?"

          "Nothing, it was nothing, Luce."

            Lucy felt her cheeks as they turned a deep red at his words. 

     Find out more in Chapter 11

      bye, bye little owlets!

       -Summer out!