Chapter 54 • The Frisky Meter

"Alright, in you two go."

I let go of JJ's elbow to feel for the door jamb and I step inside our flat with Maggie guiding me. While I stand still in the foyer waiting for JJ, the familiar scent of our home and the sound of water running in the fish tank comfort me and I exhale a relieved breath.

"It's been a long day, especially this evening, and I'm so glad we're home."

"Yeah, me, too," she sighs and I hear the click of the door shut. "I'm gonna get ready for bed. Need in the loo before I go?"

"No, you go right ahead, love. I'll feed Maggie and Romeo and Juliet."

"Oh shit, I completely forgot about them."

"It's alright-"

"No, you don't understand. They didn't even cross my mind. I'm a terrible fish and dog mum."

"Hey, it's okay, JJ. C'mere," I coo, holding out my hand for hers and I feel her hand in mine. I let go of the harness and invite her in for a hug to which she accepts. As I wrap my arms around her back, I rest my chin on her head and I feel her arms wrap around my waist. She seems to have calmed down some thanks to my hands soothing her back and I press a kiss to her hair. "Feel better?"

"Yeah. Thanks," she sighs, leaning back from my embrace.

"Good. Now go get ready for bed and I'll take care of our furry and scaly children, and then we'll go to bed where we won't have to set our alarms for the morning. How does that sound?"

"Hmm, sounds perfect. Kiss me."

A smile tugs at the corner of my mouth and I slide my hands up her arms to her shoulders, moving up to her cheeks and I take a step closer. As I duck my head down, I close my eyes so it's not awkward for her and I feel her lips on mine.

Our kiss is slow, lazy and perfect for what we need right now. She needs to know that I'm here for her and that I'll do anything to keep her and our twins happy and safe, and right now, that means relieving her of any stress she might feel.

JJ hums into our kiss, "I'll meet you in the bedroom."

I nod, exhaling a deep breath and I reach down for the harness, "Maggie, take me to the living room, please."

She starts guiding me and with my free hand on the wall and the sound of the fish tank getting louder, I can tell we're close. I feel for the edge of the shelf where we keep the bottle of fish food and I unscrew the cap. I shake the bottle into my palm two times and reach up to the tank to sprinkle the flakes into the water.

"Bon appétitè," I jokingly say, feeling for the shelf to set the bottle of food down and I reach for the harness. "Maggie, would you like a bedtime treat as well? You would? Okay, take me to the kitchen, please."

From her lively pace, I can tell she's excited for her bedtime treat. I shake my head with a smile and feel around for the countertop where we keep the bag of treats. The crinkle of the package makes her huff an impatient breath and I smirk as I reach inside to grab a sirloin-flavoured treat.

"Here you go, Maggie. Good girl," I praise her as she licks the treat from my hand. "Are you ready to go to bed? Okay, take me to the bedroom, please."

As she guides me down the hallway, the sound of the water running in the fish tank fades and I stretch out my hand to feel the wall as we walk down the hall. The muffled sound of the shower running piques my interest since JJ prefers to shower in the mornings. It dawns on me that it's probably because of her bladder accident in the Gemma's car earlier and it makes my heart ache for my wife.