Chapter 3

They drove into the parking lot and parked the car a couple of feet away from the entrance. “You know what I’m gonna fill up the car with gas.” Sarah says as she starts up the car again.

“Alright what do you want to eat?” Kristina says.

“Anything you get is fine by me I just wanna eat girl.”

“Cool, I gotchu,” Kristina says as she follows Javier out the car as Sarah drives off causing a cold blast of air hits her in the face, she shoves her hands in her pockets and starts to shiver wishing to be back in the car.

Javier zips up his jacket takes off his hat and puts it on her head and then pulls up her scarf to cover her mouth and nose, then buttons up the top two buttons of her coat which almost chokes her. “And I thought you were smart?” he smiles at her and before she gets to say anything he grabs her hand and walks inside. When they get inside they split up, Javier going on the McDonald’s line and Kristina going on the Dunkin Donuts line. “What should I get?” Javier says just before he gets on the line.

“Uhmm 3 breakfast platters, 3 sausage egg and cheese McGriddles, 3 fruit parfaits and 2 cups of orange juice, I mean if that’s okay for you guys.”

“Sounds aiight to me,” Javier says as he pulls out his wallet, “Here use this card to get whatever.” He says as he holds the card out to her.

“No I can’t do that,” she says pushing his hand back.

“You can, just take it,” he holds out the card to her again.

“I have my own money,” she says pushing his hand back again.

“Ugh Kristina just take the card,” he groans.

“Javier, I don’t want to take your money simple.” She snaps.

“This is exactly why niggas can’t be nice anymore,” he mutters.

Then an old lady appears, “Honey, nowadays you won’t find a guy to pay a meal for you or even give you a quarter to buy a bag of chips. You better take that offer girl.” She says and walks away.

“You heard the old lady,” he says with a smile as he grabs her hand and puts the card in her palm, then he starts to walk away.

“I’ll pay you back,” she shouts after him but he just keeps walking. She sighs then goes on the line for Dunkin Donuts. When she gets on the line she orders a medium coffee cream and sugar with a blueberry muffin, then an order of 6 donuts and 25 munchkins for the road. After she walks over to the table where she seen Javier and Sarah sitting and eating, she puts the bags on the table and pulls up a seat.

“What’d ya get?” Sarah says with a mouth full of food.

“Close your mouth animal.” Javier throws a napkin at her. Sarah throws a syrup packet at him and he flings some scramble eggs at her.

“Children please.” Kristina says just before Sarah plots to throws her orange juice at Javier, “And I thought you guys were the adults here.” she says as she rolls her eyes and sips her coffee then goes in the McDonald’s bag and pulls out a McGriddle. They sat in silence as they ate then a couple of minutes later Sarah pulls Kristina out of her seat to go with her to the bathroom.  Before Kristina follows Sarah she shoves her hands in her pockets, “Here’s your card.” she hands it to Javier.

“You got the receipt?” he says as he takes the card.

“I do but it’s my receipt not yours,” she says as she smiles, and walks towards the bathroom before he got to say anything. He really thought I was gonna use his card? When she enters the bathroom she sees Sarah in front of the mirror fixing her hair so she goes in the stall and uses the bathroom, as soon as she comes out she sees Sarah in front of her.

“So what exactly is going on between you and the Mexican?” Sarah asks her.    

“God, can I wash my hands first?” she says as she walks over to the sink and starts to wash her hands.

Sarah walks towards her and stands right next to her, “He really likes you, you know.”

“Oh really?” she says sarcastically.

“Don’t play stupid, I think you should give him a chance.” Sarah says seriously.

“I don’t think so.” she says as she shakes her hands and walks towards the hand dryer.

Sarah walks over to her, “Why, because of that asshole that broke your heart?” 

“No, because he is the cousin of the asshole that broke my heart,” she says quietly as she feels pangs hit her heart, that’s the first time she ever admitted Levi broke her heart out loud.

“So what, on to the next.” Sarah says as they walk out bathroom.  Kristina doesn’t answer she just wants Sarah to drop it. They walk over to the table to clean and pack up their stuff.

“Ready to go?” Javier says to them as he gets up from the table.

“Yes.” Kristina and Sarah say in unison.

“Got everything?” he says to them.

“Not everything,” Sarah says as she quickly drops the keys on the table in front of him and runs out the place towards the car.

“SARAH!” Javier picks up the keys and chases after her.

Kristina laughs, I could get used to friends like these, then she walks out the place and over to the car.