Chapter 40

Kristina stands in front of the towering building complex on Liberty Street. The double doors were huge and made of glass to give view to a grand lobby  that was all cream and gold. It was glamorous. Instead of going inside she stands outside watching the busy sidewalks and streets as cigarette smoke and roasted nuts fill her nostrils. She pulls out her phone and calls Javier for the third time since she came out the train station. Where is he? He said he would be here. The rings go to voicemail, she hangs up and sighs, Is he that mad at me that he couldn't even be here for me? Did I push him away? I know I've been distant but how could he not be here for me when I need him the most? She fidgets as she tugs on one of her loose brown curls.

"Good Morning Ms. Daniels." A voice says from behind her.

Kristina jumps and turns around to see Ann Schwartz, the attorney. "You startled me." she says with her hand on her fast beating heart.

"I apologize. I just wanted to make sure you were still coming up." she says with a smile.

"How did you know I was out here?" Kristina asks.

"There are cameras out here." she answers as points at one of the well hidden camera in the corner of the entrance. "You've been standing out here for almost 15 minutes so I thought you were getting cold feet."

"Oh, I was just waiting for a friend that was supposed to be coming in with me."

"I made it very clear to not disclose any information with anyone Ms. Daniels." Ann says in a serious tone.

"He was there that night it happened."

"Oh Mr. Arias?" she asks as Kristina nods to confirm, "I had a contract written up for him also but I just can't seem to get a hold of him." she says as she puts her hand on her chin.

"Yea me either." Kristina adds.

"Well I'm in New York so it will easy to track him down and get the paper work done. But as of right now it is all about you." she says as she presses buttons on a key pad on the side of the entrance and opens the front door. "Let's go inside shall we?" she says will a smile as she holds open the door for Kristina.

"You look very nice." Kristina says as she scan Ann. She's wearing on a tight navy blue pant suit, big noticeable pearl earring and white Scarpin heels. With her natural red hair up in a high bun. Compared to Kristina's wild curly hair all over the place while wearing black sweater, black skinny sweats and black converses. I'm way under dressed.

"You look nice too." Ann says to her.

Kristina gives her a small smile and walks inside the building in awe of the art work and sculptures she couldn't see from outside. "Whoa." she says to herself as she walks towards the front desk covered in white marble.

"Good Morning." A man and a woman in burgundy uniform say in unison to Kristina and Ann.