Chapter 18

Kristina and Javier left the hospital and headed for his apartment, the ride there was silent. When they reached the apartment Kristina went straight to the bathroom. She locked the door behind her then hoisted herself up on the bathroom counter as she sat there and cried.  After couple of minutes she hears a knock at the door.

“Can I come in?” Javier says gently but she doesn’t answer so he knocks again, “Kristina, let me talk to you.” he still gets no answer so he stands there for a moment then rests his forehead on the door, “You’re killing me.” he sighs taking off his jacket as he walks over to the couch, throwing it on one side then dropping himself on the couch as he lays on his back staring at the ceiling. He crosses his arms over his face pressing on his black eye a little too hard he sucks his breath in sharply with pain, What a horrible fucking night. He closes his eyes, feeling his heartbeat in his right eye, he sighs again. After a couple of minutes he feels a weight next to him, he quickly opens his eyes and jumps up and sees Kristina walking toward the couch.

Kristina screams, “You just scared the crap out of me.” Kristina says trying to catch her breath.

“You just scared the crap out of me.” Javier breathes out as he sits back down on the couch.

“Sorry I just got this out your freezer to put on your eye. Sorry, I didn’t ask but I couldn’t stop thinking about it.”

 “What you saying sorry for? All you did was go in my freezer.” he smiles at her.

“It’s not a polite thing to do as a guest in someone’s home.” she says dryly.

“And as a guest here you are welcome to enter my fridge whenever you please. You need to loosen up.”

“Just take this.” she says handing him a bag of frozen chick peas.

He takes it and puts it on his right eye as he leans back on the couch, sighing relief of the coolness on his swollen eye as he lies down.  He opens his left eye and looks at Kristina, “You’re not gonna sit down?” he says to her as she sits on the other side of the couch, “Not all the way over there, come next to me.”

“There’s no space over there.”

“Just come here.”

Kristina gets up and walks over to him, “Where am I gonna sit?”

“On me.” he says dryly.

“Uhm No.”

Javier sighs and sits up, “Fine sit here.” he says holding the frozen bag of chick peas to his eye. Kristina sits down next to him but he wraps his arm around her waist pulling her closer to him, “That’s better,” he smiles at her as she rolls her eyes and puts her head on his chest, “Wanna talk about what happened last night?” She shakes her head ‘No’, he sighs, “You’re gonna have to sooner or later.”

“Can we just watch TV?” she says quietly as Javier reaches for the remote on the coffee table and turns on the TV as he goes back in the same position he was with Kristina before. They sat there watching boring shows because there was nothing to watch on TV. After another hour or two Javier notices that Kristina fell asleep, he turns off the TV and as gently as he can he picks her up and carries her to his room, she’s so light. He slowly puts her down on the bed not realizing how sore he really is. He looks at her still wearing the dress from the night before, she’s so fucking beautiful and she doesn’t even know it.  He smiles at her and walks over to his phone on his dresser, he sees twelve missed calls. He walks out the room as he dials back the number.

“Hello?”

“You called me twelve times. What happened, Michelle?”

“I've been calling you since last night. You already know why I’m calling. I need money.”

“You want money but I can’t even get to see my daughter?’

“Yes, is there a problem with that?”

“There’s a lot of fucking problems with that!” he says in a loud whisper trying not to be too loud to wake Kristina up.

“That’s too fucking bad Javier.”

“You have no reason to do that though. She needs a father and you’re fucking up her life.”

“Uhm my boyfriend takes good care of her like he is her father okay, so chill out with all of that shit.”

Javier felt a surge of anger come up in his body, burning up his throat, “Your boyfriend?” Javier spat out, “If he takes so fucking good care of her, why the fuck you blowing up my phone asking me for fucking money? Huh!” he shouts through the phone but gets no response, “Yo next time I see my daughter you’re never gonna see her again.” Javier spat out as he hung up on her and threw the phone at the wall, hearing it crack as it fell to the floor and leaving a dent in the wall. His heart is beating fast, he’s breathing hard and all he can think about is choking her, “FUCK!” he punches the wall next to him shaking the whole apartment causing pictures and books to fall off a near self.

“Javier?”

“WHAT!” he shouts as he turns and sees a frightened Kristina.

Kristina is scared, she watched him break his phone and crack the wall at the same time and just seen him punch a hole in the wall shaking the whole apartment. “I-I-I just wanna know if you’re okay.” she says very quietly.

Javier sees how scared she is and his breathing slows down, he runs his hands through his hair, “I’m fine.” he says roughly.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Oh, now you wanna talk about shit. No I don’t wanna fucking talk about it.” he spat out. He watches her face drop with sadness, Fuck, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to say that. I’m just not in the mood right now.”

“It’s okay.” she says quietly as she looks down at the floor wringing her hands nervously.

“Call Sarah to come over, I need to take a walk.” he says without looking at her as he grabs his jacket off the couch and walks out the door, slamming it close behind him.