Chapter 7: WITCH FIGHTS Part 2: Blackwood vs. Smith.

After the declaration in the great room, Lily runs to join James in the hallway.

Sensing the need for privacy, James's friends leave them.

There is a long silence, both not knowing who to speak first.

Then Lily breaks the silence.

"Why did you do that? I thought__"

"You thought badly!"

James cuts her off quickly. He looks her in the eye.

"Listen... in the room... last time... I got carried away and I let a misunderstanding set in... it's my fault I take it... but I love you Lily Baker and I can feel it because I enraged imagining you with another guy."

"... ... ..."

"Love me? You dumped me, remember?"

"I never dumped you, I just left so as not to suffer your fit of jealousy."

"Your way of leaving suggests it and you rushed to join other girls afterwards instead of apologizing."

"I was going to do it, but when I retraced my steps, I saw you with Mateo."

"He's just a friend and you know it."

"The way he looks at you suggests otherwise."

"Just like the way you look at Ella."

"Except I'm fighting for you right now, you are the one I want to win back."

"Win me back or try to sleep with me?"

"Are you going to blame me for physically wanting you? I love you and want to be with you emotionally and physically, is that wrong?"

"It is because I'm not ready!"

A little moment of silence settles. Students whisper while looking at them before leaving.

James coughs a bit before resuming.

"Will you be there tomorrow?"

"You went to cause a duel just for me, of course I'll be there."

"For who?"

"Are you seriously asking me the question? There is nothing and there will never be nothing between Blackwood and me."

"So... are we... together again?"

"I do not know."

"Okay. What did he do to you Lily? I would like to hear it from your own mouth."

Lily leans her back against the wall and is thoughtful.

"If it's too hard__"

"I have a hard time remembering it precisely... just a vague sensation... of caress... and the fear... when... when I wake up... eyes... unfamiliar hands on me."

James punches the wall.

"I'm going to kill him!"

He looks at Lily a little trembling, he walks towards her and takes her in his arms to reassure her.

A little further on, Mateo sighs in front of this scene, he looks at the box of chocolate he has in his hand, puts it in his pocket and leaves.

*******

On the day of the challenge, the Hall on Request is filled with students who have come to watch the day's duel.

An eye with wings is placed everywhere to broadcast the duel live for those who look in a mirror, from a distance, since the room cannot contain everyone.