Nobody Said It Was Easy

"Mama, mama we're home" I here Edith call out after the echoing sound of the front door being thrown open fills the house.

"I'm in the kitchen" I reply squatting down,  tidying up the containers In the bottom cupboard.

"Whatcha doin" Edith asks throwing her lunch tin on the kitchen island.

"Just cleaning the cupboards" I say focused.

"Do you need some help" Ignatius asks walking into the kitchen.

"No thank you" I pause and shut the cupboard "I'm done" I say and stand up. He nods and starts emptying out his lunch tin. "What do you want for supper" I ask opening the fridge.

"Ice cream" I Edith cheers.

"No not ice cream, maybe dessert" I look around the fridge in search of something to cook, cate went grocery shopping last and bought a whole bunch of weird australien foods.

"Please I want ice cream" Edith pouts, starting to throw a tantrum.

"And I said after dinner" I say taking out a precooked rotisserie chicken.

"NO NOW" Edith yells.

"Stop Edith" Ignatius yells from the kitchen table, he has somehow already moved onto doing his homework.

"It's alright, thank you I have it" I tell him, I turn back to Edith. "You can have it after, you just need to eat diner" I say and tap her nose, she hits my hand away and stomps her foot, I'm taken back, I've never seen her act like this. "Hey what's wrong are you sick" I ask and put my hand over her four head.

"NO I WANT ICE CREAM" she screams.

"Okay that's enough, go to your room you're on time out" I demand in a soft yet stern voice. I've never liked yelling at people or getting upset.

"NO you don't tell me what to do" she says rudely.

"Stop Edith she's our step mother" Ignatius yells. I give him a sympathetic smile and bring my attention back to Edith.

"You're going up stairs now" I say now in a calm tone, hoping to deal with the situation better.

"NO" she yells.

I don't reply I just take her hand and try to guide her upstairs, but she stays grounded and start to cry. I pay no attention and carry her in my arms.

She starts to scream and punch my shoulder whilst squirming around. "NOOO" she yells.

"Don't hit, you're making it worse"I say reaching the top of the stairs, she continues.

I enter her bedroom and sit her on the bed. "Twenty minutes and then you can come out" I tell her and try to leave the room.

"No please mama I'm sorry" she says quietly and pulls on the bottom off my shirt.

"I know, but you can't do stuff like that, I'll get you when diner is ready" I tell her and hurry out of the room. I shut the door before she can chase me and hold it closed for a moment. I hear her sit on her bed and start to cry, I feel horrible, but she can't hit.

I walk down the stairs and sigh as I enter the kitchen. "How'd it go" Ignatius asks putting away his homework.

"Horrible" I let out a airy chuckle.

"Yeah she does that sometimes, she'll calm down. You handled it better than mom does" he tells me.

"How so" I ask opening the chicken I placed on the counter.

"She always lets her act up" he shrugs and stands beside me.

"Yeah I noticed that" I pause "do you want to help" i hold the chicken in front of him.