𝐗𝐗𝐈 ー 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨𝐱𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐝

Drawing the covers back with a sigh, Kaden swiftly retreats from the bed with fear and annoyance swirling across his face.

"Wow." His hands lower to his hips after they'd flailed through the air. "Well done. You got me."

"That wasn't me," Sierra innocently replies. He looks across to the girl peering into the room, head poking out from behind the wall.

"You're not funny." He points an accusing finger. Hope giggles and runs back to her bedroom.

"She just wanted to see your reaction."

"Oh yeah?" He tosses the plastic snake at the chuckling woman.

"It's April Fools we had to." She brings it closer and he slaps it away with a groan. Sierra laughs under her breath and discards of it while he makes himself comfortable. "Never seen you so pale," she teases much to his dismay.

Come morning, she yawns on her way into the kitchen, opening the cupboard to retrieve her usual mug. Upon lowering it she nearly drops the fragile object while a squeal rings through the air.

A hand over her pounding heart, she sighs defeatedly, shuddering and tipping the fake spider onto the counter.

"Touché," she mutters tiredly and places it under the machine, tapping the screen.

While her drink is being made, she pours some cereal into a bowl. The box is immediately flung across the island as she jumps onto the counter, shrieking uncontrollably.

"What's with all the noise?" Kaden wanders past the couch with Hope on his hip. Head resting on his shoulder and thumb in her mouth.

"You littleー"

"Six year old present," he reminds, covering the tiny ear not pressed against his shoulder.

"You were only pranked once."

"We both had the same idea." He shrugs.

"You were both in on this?"

"Yeah, except I wanted to use a real one."

"And I suggested a real snake but I was nice enough not to do it."

"So was I," he counters.

Grayson ignores them entirely as he takes a bottle of water from the fridge, dressed in a simple pair of grey shorts. Hope faintly hums and buries her face in Kaden's neck.

"You're boring." Sierra hops down from the counter. "Can't even prank you because your phobias are deep."

Grayson lowers the bottle to catch the jelly spider hitting his chest. "Has she found the real one yet?"

"What?!" she yelps and hoists herself back up onto the marbled counter. Hope giggles tiredly to herself, head still tucked under her father's chin.

Sierra opens her mouth to insult him but Kaden clearing his throat has it snapping shut. She chooses to have mercy on her sleepy girl by keeping her colourful words to herself.