𝐋𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕 ー 𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐥𝐚𝐠𝐬

Bated breaths tangle with grunts of exertion. Arms ache from digging into the floor, his injured leg weighing him down and smearing red behind him.

Angelic humming dances through the corridor. It comes from behind, in front; every direction he worriedly scans.Metal scrapes. The axe dragging along the ground behind her soundless footsteps. He casts a fearful glance over his shoulder, locating a shadow on the wall.

He swallows the curse and with it, the metal invading his mouth. Another load of blood pours freely from his leg. He dares to steal another glimpse of the corridor behind him.

This time there isn't a shadow on the wall. There isn't a silhouette or any sign of movement. In fact the humming has ceased and left him vulnerable to the silence.

He holds his breath, throwing an arm forwards. His hand lands on something. Leather. Laces. He gulps, slowly drawing his head back to view the blonde towering over him.

Her sickeningly sweet smile is cruelly deceptive. He cries out as she brings the axe down.

○ ○ ○

32 hours earlier

Sierra taps her foot on the floor, roaming her eyes over the spotless bathroom. Just as she's about to stand, Grayson strolls into the room and holds his arms out wide.

"What do you think?"

With a suspecting frown she inspects the simple black button down. True to his nature, only a few in the middle have been clasped leaving a lot of his chest exposed.

"Why does it look familiar?"

"It's Kaden's."

"That'll be why."

A beat of silence washes over them. "You don't like it." He turns and walks out.

"I never said that," she calls out. He mutters something in response but he's muffled while he rummages through his closet. Sierra washes her hands before finding him.

"You don't need to change."

"You're right. Your opinion is skewed because I look good in everything."

"You also look good in nothing."

She bites her lower lip when he catches the hushed comment. Laughter bubbles in her throat as he tugs her hips against him, slipping a hand around her neck.

"Careful," he murmurs by her ear.

A knock on the door. "Oh, we're being oddly affectionate, alright." Hope awkwardly scratches the back of her head. "Shall I come back later?"

"Nope." Sierra pushes his hands from beneath the hem of her shirt. "What's wrong?" She brushes her hair from her rosy face.

Hope curiously looks between them. "Dad's asking for you."

"Okay." She clears her throat, ignoring his smirk on her way out.

"You're unusually smiley today," Hope points out.