Chapter 17: The Winter Soldier

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Realizing Pierce is the one leading HYDRA, the team goes on a mission to confront him with the help of Sam. However, thing's take a drastic turn when the Winter Soldier is sent to kill them, only to reveal a truth of someone the twins thought died years ago: Bucky Barnes.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: TRIGGER WARNINGS APPLY THIS CHAPTER: Slight mentions to suicide and attempted murder. This is where everything starts to be revealed, so it's a bit of a heavy chapter.

Everlasting Love from Brooklyn

Chapter 17: The Winter Soldier

Knowing that there were only a few people they could trust left, the trio ended up finding themselves at the house of Sam Wilson for refuge. Surprised to see them at his front door looking like a disaster, Steve wasted no time, apologizing to him and explaining the situation, telling him they were in need of his help. Sam, being the kind person he was, didn't turn them away and offered to help.

After taking their showers, Natasha and Vicky were sitting on a bed, both lost in their own individual thoughts. Steve was in the bathroom, having finished with his own shower, now dressed as he glanced at the girls from the mirror. His eyes stopped on his little sister, seeing how the weight of the world was heavy in them. He didn't want this for her. Recalling that state she was brought to finding out the truth of Howard's death, Steve knew Vicky would feel like it was her fault along with HYDRA returning.

Finally breaking the quiet, he asked. "Are you okay?"

She looked up at him, swallowing. "Peachy Keen." Vicky lied.

Not believing it for a minute, knowing when his sister was lying, Steve sat down across from her, giving Vicky a knowing look. "Vic, it's not your fault. You didn't know Zola was going to rebuild HYDRA. You didn't know what he was going to do."

"Really?" Vicky jolted up, dropping the hair brush she had been using. "Because I sure had my suspicions the moment I saw him, but instead I chose to ignore my instinct and gave him the benefit of the doubt. That act is what has led to my friend being killed -- to Fury being killed and SHIELD being compromised." Steve watched with sympathy, feeling his heart break for her. "They've destroyed everything we've worked for and I wasn't there to stop it."

It was silent for a moment as Vicky got up to leave the room, no longer wishing to talk about this subject. Steve and Natasha remained, speaking with each other.

"I know exactly how she feels. When I first joined SHIELD, I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for HYDRA. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but...I guess I can't tell the difference anymore." The redhead admitted sadly.

"There's a chance you might be in the wrong business." Steve said, repeating her familiar words.

Natasha gave a slight chuckle at this. "I owe you."

"It's okay."

"If it was the other way around, and it was down to me to save you and Vicky's life, and you be honest with me, would you trust me to do it?"

"I would now." Steve said, nodding. This made her eyes widened, happy to know. "And I'm always honest."

A smile came to her lips. "Well, you seem pretty chipper for someone who just found out they died for nothing."

"Well, I guess I just like to know who I'm fighting."

Sam came into the room, pausing by the doorway. "I made breakfast. If you guys...eat that sort of thing." He declared before walking back off.