Chapter 29: A New World

CHAPTER SUMMARY: John Walker is revealed as the new Captain America to the shock and horror of the Barnes couple. A mission comes up involving the Flag Smashers, bringing Sam and Bucky together to work out their differences as Vicky tries to help however she can.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: I'm currently working on writing up the alternate stories. The first one will be Vicky as another Winter Soldier. It will be a PART 2 to this story, so keep an eye out for it. It should be out soon. :) Full warning: Vicky is seriously dark in it.

Also, guest appearances in the next chapter. Just guess who it's from though *wink wink*

Everlasting Love from Brooklyn

Chapter 29: A New World

Vicky woke up the next day to an empty bed. Frowning, she let out a sigh, starting to get herself up for another day. Bucky was more than likely asleep on the living room floor again or already awake from a series of nightmares. She wished more than anything that she could help him with his nightmares -- or at least make them go away, but it wouldn't be that easy.

Making her way to the living room, she spotted him sitting on the floor, watching the TV warily before realizing she was awake. "Morning doll." He said, rushing up to greet her and give a kiss. "I made breakfast. It's waiting for you on the stove."

"Thanks love." Vicky replied, walking into the kitchen to grab a plate.

The news sounded on the TV as Vicky quietly listened and Bucky watched. "Today's special coverage is on the reveal and history of Captain America."

Vicky chuckled, hearing the familiar music of the Star Spangled Man playing, bringing back memories of her days performing it whenever her brother would come on stage. Only this time it was a marching band. "They don't have singers for this one?" She asked, glancing up briefly.

"Ladies and gentlemen... Your new Captain America!" They saw a blonde man running onto the stage, causing Vicky and Bucky to give confused looks, realizing it wasn't Sam. Maybe it was just some act for someone acting as Steve who would introduce Sam?

"Wait, what? Where's Sam?" Vicky asked.

Bucky sighed, giving her a look that spoke volumes: he turned down the shield. She could see the anger in her husband's eyes over this.

"Good morning, America."

Taking his seat by an interviewer, they began to speak. "Thank you so much for coming. This has gotta be fun, though, coming back to your high school after so much has changed?"

"Yeah."

"John, I think the first thing everyone wants to know is what is it like being Captain America? Do eagles fly overhead wherever you go?"

He laughed. "Uh, yes. Yeah, that and flags tend to start majestically waving in the wind."

"And how's the tour been? I know they did a big rollout for you, right?"

"It's the greatest honor of my life. Um, but I'm just a little shocked, I think. How did a guy like me end up here?"

"Oh, wait, wait, wait. 'A guy like me'? Somebody's being a bit too humble. For those of you who aren't familiar with his résumé, John Walker, first person in American history to receive three Medals of Honor, ran RS-One missions in counterterrorism and hostage rescue." The government did a study of your body at MIT, and you tested off the charts in every measurable category. Speed, endurance, intelligence..."

"Look, here's the thing, uh, I'm not Tony Stark, I'm not Dr. Banner, okay? I don't have the flashiest gadgets, I don't have super strength. But what I do have is guts. Something Captain America always had, always needs to have, and I'm gonna need every ounce of it. Because I got big shoes to fill."