Chapter 32: Someone to Relate Too

CHAPTER SUMMARY: Winnie Barnes and Morgan Stark have been best friends since childhood. While Morgan takes after her father, Tony Stark, with a sharp wit and brilliant mind, Winnie follows after her uncle Steve in one field only: constant health problems and a knack for drawing anything they see. It has been 14 years since Steve passed away, and it's still something that deeply affects the Barnes daughter, wanting to understand why everyone says she is similar to her uncle who clearly didn't struggle as the Captain America before Sam.

Despite the warnings from her friend, Winnie begs Morgan to help her travel back in time, wanting to meet her uncle before he became Captain America. However, as always when Time Travel is involved -- things tend to go wrong and things that were best left buried are revealed.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: We are in the endgame now. If you thought I was done giving you an emotional rollercoaster ride and that you wouldn't relive old emotional moments....you were wrong. It's only going to be more emotional from here. Thanks XD

WARNINGS: Mentions of Health Issues/Problems and Death. JUST FEELS EVERYWHERE!

Everlasting Love from Brooklyn

Chapter 32: Someone to Relate To

14 YEARS LATER

BROOKLYN

Winnie Sarah Barnes was sitting in the grass in the middle of a graveyard, scribbling down her thoughts in a picture. She would come here often with her parents to visit her Uncle Steve who passed away when she was five, but throughout the years, it started to become every fourth of July on her mother's and uncle's shared birthday. It wasn't strange for her to realize he was 110 when he passed away. After all, she was part of a family of superheroes, and her parents who were now 120, still looked like they were young despite some grey hair starting to catch up to them. It was all thanks to the super soldier serum.

Raised on the stories, Winnie and her best friend, Morgan Stark who was five years older than her, heard everything about the Avengers and the family legacy. When Winnie found out about her Uncle Steve being the first Captain America, it shocked her because she was so used to knowing her Uncle Sam as Captain America. She had only known Steve as her Uncle and her mother's brother.

But it seemed like the more she came to learn about her Uncle Steve would continue to keep her shocked, especially when her parents would constantly comment how similar she was to him. All she could see was how she wasn't anything like him. It was something she had never understood, and probably never would.

Finishing up her drawing, Winnie ripped the paper from the sketchpad and placed it upon the grave that was already decorated with flowers and tributes from others. Tracing her fingers upon the letters, she gave a small smile. The grave read: STEVEN GRANT ROGERS, 1918-2029, Beloved Son, Brother, Friend, and First Avenger.

"Hey Uncle Steve, it's me again." Winnie breathed out, chuckling. "I've made a new picture for you. I tried my best with this one too, but my health hasn't been the best lately. Then again...when is it?"

Born with health problems thanks to poor genetics and complications at birth, Winnie found herself constantly getting sick with something throughout her childhood thanks to a weak immune system -- something she supposedly inherited from her Uncle Steve that only left her in disbelief further. The only constant things that seemed to stick around was her childhood asthma and epilepsy.

But there was no mistaking that look in her parents eyes everytime they looked at her: the look that at any given moment, they might lose her too. Being their only child, Winnie eventually came to understand why they were so protective over her, especially when they lost Steve.